1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Why not EM for NHSC?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by bla_3x, Apr 18, 2007.

1. bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

Just a thought. I mean I know it is not primary care, but seems that it would be enough of a benefit to get boarded EPs to these areas too.
    Is there just not a real shortage of EPs in these areas? Anyone know?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. docB

docB Chronically painful
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  4. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

National Health Service Corps.

5. EM2BE

EM2BE Elf
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Another note is that it matters where you are on whether EM is considered primary care. I'm sure you are right about NHSC, but if you don't do that, it changes by states.

6. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's why. You could make the argument that it would be a benefit to get any specialty out to the hinterlands.

7. bla_3x

7+ Year Member

Yes but they do take psych. By no means primary care, but likely in great shortage. I guess that EPs aren't as needed psych docs. My thought is even though EM is not primary care, it is just as vital to the community to have good, board certified EPs in a rural/underserved area.

8. Mary Jane Watson

Mary Jane Watson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm from 'Bama and they are DYING for board certified EM docs and are willing to pay premium for you. I plan to practice there when I'm done. Two groups wanted to interview me at ACEP. As an intern. They are offering something around 300K first year out. We have been trying to get EM and OB added to the list of specialties included in this in Alabama to no avail yet. Hopefully this will be coming.

9. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Lots of states won't take psych, Kentucky for 1. They want FM, IM, Peds, and OB/GYN. From my standpoint, I can see why they don't want EM for ordinary clinic, because even with my extra year, I won't be the person to manage someone's BP (nor would I want to). On the other hand, I think that it would work great for urgent care clinics, and I'm sure they need a lot of those.

10. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most definitely a good point. Heck they accept Ob/Gyn and I find it a bit strange to call a physician with such extensive surgical skills a "primary care physician."

11. bla_3x

7+ Year Member

Even without being in the "clinic" setting, EDs serve a great deal of concerns to a segment of the population that have few other alternatives.

I know this is a part of EM that a lot of my peers don't like, but why not recognize the "total" contribution EDs make and let willing EPs serve with the program?

On the same token above, would you want your OBGyn to work you up for an emergent non gyn condition? --nothing at all against OBs