MorningGlory

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Seattle
Status
Medical Student
So I've got an interview coming up soon that I've been preparing for and can't seem to figure out a tactful way of answering this question without insulting the nursing industry. Is it wrong to say that I want to have more initiative in my job and not be subject to the daily grind of checking on IVs, cleaning up after patients, etc? I know nursing is more than that and they have more responsibilities.. even taking on patients themselves when there aren't enough doctors... they even probably get more patient contact and a better relationship with their patients than doctors do.. but I can't help but feel that trying to be a nurse rather than a doctor would be somewhat of a step down. How would you answer this question?

PineappleGirl

Sweet and Juicy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
Boston
Status
You could say you want to pursue medicine instead of nursing because you find medicine to be more intellectually challenging. A degree in medicine offers opportunities to perform research, while a degree in nursing does not.
That's fairly polite, n'est-ce pas?

Although the latter point perhaps won't work to well if you're not interested in research and have no research experience.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Don't say "daily grind."

Say you prefer the autonomy and freedom of treatment that being a physician entails. (nice cookie cutter answer)

me3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Give them this example:

If someone was interested in criminal justice should they settle for being a security guard or should they strive to the top and become a judge or an attorney. As a person who is interested in healthcare, you realize that every position is important in its own way, however you would like to aspire to be the best that you can be if you have the potential for it.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
I think the previous posts are missing the point. the whole reason behind the physician vs nurse issue is definately integrated into the control issue. having the ability to control the treatment of the patient and steering the nursing directive is the best answer i feel like. I take that back... Astudent refers to it.. my bad!

chocolate-e

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I think the "intellectually challenging" answer is right on target. (Only don't say that nurses can't do research, because they can and do. ;)) I've looked pretty extensively at nursing school curricula on the bachelor's and master's level, and I just haven't felt that it offered the opportunity to understand physiological and disease processes in the same depth that a medical education does.

AnotherDork

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2004
Massachusetts
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is this likely to come up? If you're not currently a nurse or in nursing school, I doubt that they would ask you about it. If you are, I think everyone else's advice is solid.

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
Well, for me, I couldn't possibly a nurse. I am a guy for goodness sakes! Seen "Meet the parents"? There is no respect for a male nurse. Imagine if I, in all my Marlboro man-ness, machismo oozing out of every pore, straddling all man stud, were to go into nursing? It's a hard image to conjure (and I don't mean the nursing part).

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
GuyLaroche said:
Well, for me, I couldn't possibly a nurse. I am a guy for goodness sakes! Seen "Meet the parents"? There is no respect for a male nurse. Imagine if I, in all my Marlboro man-ness, machismo oozing out of every pore, straddling all man stud, were to go into nursing? It's a hard image to conjure (and I don't mean the nursing part).
I know male nurses. It's all good.