Why not other health care fields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike36

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to prepare for my interview at UT Austin this week, but I'm having a little trouble answering this potential question. I know that I like to help people and I like science, but I can't just say that, because it sounds cheesy (and it's what everyone says). Besides, helping people and science is needed in most if not all other health fields. I'm not doubting that I want to do pharmacy, but I don't know how to convince my interviewer. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Imagine yourself working in a health care professional position and try to think what your day would be like. If pharmacy is #1 for you, then you might be able to figure out the stuff that makes the other health care jobs not as suitable to you like pharmacy.

I'm trying to prepare for my interview at UT Austin this week, but I'm having a little trouble answering this potential question. I know that I like to help people and I like science, but I can't just say that, because it sounds cheesy (and it's what everyone says). Besides, helping people and science is needed in most if not all other health fields. I'm not doubting that I want to do pharmacy, but I don't know how to convince my interviewer. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Think of areas that set pharmacist apart from a physician, dentist, or nurse. Apart from the general helping others and interest in science, what do you think makes being a pharmacist special? Im sure in your personal statements, you have given reasons why you chose pharmacy as a field to go into, maybe from your volunteer experiences at the pharmacy, what not. For me I think a pharmacist gives a personal and friendly aspect to the world of pharmaceutical drugs where there are so much new advancements and knowledge being made. And seeing that the elderly take combinations of pills as part of their routine makes it so important for a professional to educate and help them understand what they are taking and the positive/negative effects of taking these drugs.
Of course this is only a small but major part of population that uses drugs/pharmaceutical products extensively as their primary form of treatments, if not the only ones as many diseases do not have instant cures, such as Parkinson's. Pharmacist roles are expanding and I think it depends on the pharmacist themselves, current and future ones, to find, explore and implement ways that would help them better serve people.

Members don't see this ad :)
The hours are good, the money is great, and most of the pharmacy techs are female. :D

Think of areas that set pharmacist apart from a physician, dentist, or nurse. Apart from the general helping others and interest in science, what do you think makes being a pharmacist special? Im sure in your personal statements, you have given reasons why you chose pharmacy as a field to go into, maybe from your volunteer experiences at the pharmacy, what not. For me I think a pharmacist gives a personal and friendly aspect to the world of pharmaceutical drugs where there are so much new advancements and knowledge being made. And seeing that the elderly take combinations of pills as part of their routine makes it so important for a professional to educate and help them understand what they are taking and the positive/negative effects of taking these drugs.
Of course this is only a small but major part of population that uses drugs/pharmaceutical products extensively as their primary form of treatments, if not the only ones as many diseases do not have instant cures, such as Parkinson's. Pharmacist roles are expanding and I think it depends on the pharmacist themselves, current and future ones, to find, explore and implement ways that would help them better serve people.

Nice comment!

Little or no exposure to blood borne pathogens. :thumbup: (depending on where you work of course) After working in a lab and seeing how easy it is to get cut/stuck, this is something I'm really going to appreciate.

One of my coworkers and I were inventoring blood. My coworker was moving the ziploc bags containing tubes of blood into a bigger bag. He stuck his hand in and somehow managed to slice his finger on the bag. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him jerk and yank his hand out. He wasn't wearing gloves. His finger was bleeding. Yeah, that'll make your blood run cold. Always, ALWAYS wear gloves.

One of my coworkers and I were inventoring blood. My coworker was moving the ziploc bags containing tubes of blood into a bigger bag. He stuck his hand in and somehow managed to slice his finger on the bag. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him jerk and yank his hand out. He wasn't wearing gloves. His finger was bleeding. Yeah, that'll make your blood run cold. Always, ALWAYS wear gloves.[/quote]

Although in that case, gloves wouldn't have helped. Gloves don't protect against needlsticks, scalpel cuts, or other types of slicing and dicing.

Little or no exposure to blood borne pathogens. :thumbup: (depending on where you work of course) After working in a lab and seeing how easy it is to get cut/stuck, this is something I'm really going to appreciate.

One of my coworkers and I were inventoring blood. My coworker was moving the ziploc bags containing tubes of blood into a bigger bag. He stuck his hand in and somehow managed to slice his finger on the bag. Out of the corner of my eye I saw him jerk and yank his hand out. He wasn't wearing gloves. His finger was bleeding. Yeah, that'll make your blood run cold. Always, ALWAYS wear gloves.

i work in a clinical setting and i work with tubes of blood every day, needless to say i needed the blood borne pathogen training and i wear gloves and glasses. As long as you are not completely ******ed you shouldn't have a problem. Not wearing gloves is stupid.

i work in a clinical setting and i work with tubes of blood every day, needless to say i needed the blood borne pathogen training and i wear gloves and glasses. As long as you are not completely ******ed you shouldn't have a problem. Not wearing gloves is stupid.

Yes it is ******ed. But unfortunately, some people are way too lax on safety precautions. Even if I'm so much as touching a bag that contains blood, I wear gloves. I guess he thought that since he wasn't dealing with anything sharp, that he'd be ok. Wrong.