Why Nova? Gimme reasons!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KWBum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Folks, any current NSU-COM students out there?

I interviewed last year but didn't get in. As a re-applicant they want me to be specific about why I am re-applying to Nova in particular.

Why am I? Well, I found the facilities good, the location great, and the students I spoke to happy with the experience.

But...

I'd appreciate any of you folks who actually go there currently if you could offer some concrete suggestions. I dunno what, but examples spring to mind... "The environment is supportive." "The blah, blah class is unique to this school." You get the idea. What makes your school great and unique from the others, and from the perspective of the admissions committee and...Dr. Terry!

Hey, much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would mention the following:

1)The 3-month rural medicine rotation. The school has a great deal of pride in the rural medicine program and in placing students in rural locations.

2)The IGC program. This preceptorship program allows you to gain clinical experience early in medical school, explain to them how important that is to YOU.

3)Mention the new/revamped OPP department. NSU aquired both Dr. Patterson and Dr. Wallace from UHS over the summer and both of them have excellent reputations in the osteopathic community. Both have been teaching at osteopathic colleges for 20+ years I think, and Dr. Patterson is an editor for the JAOA. This was done, I think, in an effort to place a greater emphasis on OPP/OMT here and to improve the overall reputation of the department. From what I can tell(in my first few weeks) the department is very strong so mention it.

4)Mention how you would like to attend a school with an HPD or how you like the whole interdisiplinary(sp?) thing. The school has really grown over the past twenty years adding a school of pharmacy,PA, allied health, and dentistry.

5)The facilities. By far the nicest of the schools I visited.

These are just a few suggestions, I could think of many others. Good Luck!

ROLLTIDE

please email me. i would like to discuss nova with you.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
as a second year..I'm thankful that I don't have to take anymore classes with the other colleges..it pretty much sucked last year being cramped in central...I really have no major complaints about the school and like most aspects of the curriculum..however, the interdisciplinary crap is just what it is..complete BS

RollTide, thanks!

That was quite useful.