SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Why NYCOM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by E-boy, Apr 25, 2000.

1. E-boy

E-boy Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 27, 2000
    CT
    Just trying to find out more about the school from students or anyone who will be attending this year. If you picked NYCOM...what reasons made you pick the school? Any postitives and negatives about the institution? Any comments apprieciated [​IMG]
    How would you compare it to other schools?
    thanks [​IMG]

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. euhsa

euhsa Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2000
    somehere near NYC
    I was very impressed with their clinical affiliations, but the work here is tough! In fact, my friends from allopathic schools are very impressed with our curriculum.

4. Jkeum22985

Jkeum22985 Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2000
    Bronx, NY
    willing to provide all those important hints about success in NYCOM. I am graduating from NYCOM this year and I know all about the school, exams and all those things you must know.

Let me know if you are interested. I charge only one time fee very reasoble considering those long four years you will spend there.

Jacob Keum

5. PEwing

PEwing Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2000
    You say that the work at NYCOM is tough. How is it tougher then any other school?

6. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 1999
    New York, New York
    Jacob,

Where are you headed next year?

And if you happen to know NYCOM's match stats for the Class of 2000, could you post them?

Tim of New York City.

7. Smile

Smile Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 1999
    Jacob,

I hope you are joking about your "one-time fee". Otherwise, it is definitely a good joke.

8. Hobbes

Hobbes Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 4, 2000
    I thought that was pretty funny too. Hey, I'll give you all that information for free. All you have to do is buy my microscope from me for a nominal fee of $699.95 (retail is $700). It's a great microscope, and most importantly, NYCOM APPROVED (inside joke). Just kidding, NYCOM probably isn't any harder or easier that any other DO school. Finding decent ousing may be a pain though.

9. euhsa

euhsa Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2000
    somehere near NYC
    My best advice about finding housing at NYCOM is cliche but true nonetheless- act fast! By the way, I found my housing through the listings in the school library. I live ten minutes away from campus and pay $450/ month. I have my own bedroom and share the bathroom and kitchen with two others. If you look hard enough, there are many similar arrangements. [​IMG]

10. Liquid_Tension

Liquid_Tension Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2000
    New York
    One thing that is really cool about NYCOM is that I can save money on my water bill. NYCOM is kind enough to provide all the water I need in the form of a goose swamp. Every morning, I perform my daily washings, flossings, brushings, scrubbings, and other washroom activities right in the outdoors. I am very happy that we have this swamp. One thing though, I do have to operate quickly during the winter time.
    -Your most squeaky-clean Liquid

11. Texas Sam

Texas Sam Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 15, 2000
    Dallas, Texas, Dallas
    It seems like NYCOM's plus's and minus's might be totally different for each individual. I would go check it out in person. The campus itself is pretty nice. There are plenty of places to hide and study. There is a nice pond with a bench. They have a new OMT err.. OMM class room that is state of the art. The new building houses lecture halls that are equiped with digital connections to the intra and internets. This makes it relatively easy to download lecture notes. The library didn't seem like a focus area but I'm not an actual student at NYCOM so what do I know.

I've been told that you can start gaining practical experience right away by volunteering your time at the campus clinic although I had the feeling that not too many people actually take advantage of this opportunity b/c of curricular demands.

It has some pretty nice fellowship opportunities. It also has some nice opportunities for out of US doctors that want to become US physicians. At least one of the main buildings is being totally revamped which is definitely cool.

It doesn't have a scribe service which is sort of a bummer but I'm guessing that the online course notes make up for the lack of the scribe service. Thus, in the end you probably have more time to study, sleep,eat, whatever with the online note system versus the traditional scribe service.

If you're from the South, you'll have a bit of a culture shock and the weather will make you feel like your spending your life in freezer during the winter months. If you're from the burbs or a rural setting, you won't have that big of an adjustment b/c the campus is pretty green. Anyway, that's just about all I know about NYCOM. Oh oh, that and that Carmel in the admissions office is pretty cool.

12. Robert

Robert Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 30, 1999
    It's actually not that bad here at NYCOM. Even the "geese" problem that is heavily discussed in another post is ok. Between the unfriendly administration and the tortuous schedule, you kind of get use to it (grows on you like fungus) and time just passes by quickly (like in prison).

What kind of education you get out of NYCOM is going to be reflected in what you put into it. The drawback of having a huge class size is that you need to make the effort to get individualized help and attention (which are available).

Texas Sam commmented on the lack of a scribe service but it's actually better without it. Turns out they use to have scribe service here 10 years ago by some enterprising students that would sell it to their classmates. But the faculty was disturbed by the amount of erroneous info that they rather give out the notes themselves since students were only studying notes.