why osteopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngEyes00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What were your reasons for choosing the osteopathic route as opposed to the more "traditional" allopathic route?

Members don't see this ad.

Angeleye00

Not long ago, somebody asked the exact same question. s/he also asked why people would choose MD over DO as well. You should be able to find your answers.

Angeleye00,
I posted the same question on osteopathy forum .you can go there and look for it. If I find it I will bump it for you. I hope it helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
AngEyes00
you can check osteopathy forum now,I bumped the old posting on this topic for you .

Why MD?, why DO?-- Why go through SO many years of painful schooling and get so far into debt-- all in the day of HMO'S? For love of the profession I guess.

hey.. if I wanted to make $$, I would have stayed in business... I love medicine for the other perks it gives you (60+ hours/week, call schedules, malpractice premiums)... Seriously, I wanted medicine for the humanitarian and scientific reasons...

-A

Don't kid yourself guys. 200k/year for your first year out of residency aint too bad...ain't no managerial job gonna get you that without payin your dues in a similar fashion!! And with the ups and downs of business...you never know. I know some computer consultants that were rich one month, and now they don't have a job. Nothing comes easy!

200k/year for your first year out of residency aint too bad ••
If you think everyone is making $200K/year their first year out, you might want to look into it a bit more.

Yeah! Really! :)

Well, considering I am graduating in about 5 months from med school...I think I have looked into it a bit. The average from my friends leaving residency in EM, OB, and Surg is easily 180-200k. I have a buddy finishing his Anesthesiology residency that already had an offer of 400K in oklahoma (just repeating what the resident said)and a friend leaving an EM residency making 230k .
Much of the larger wages can be found in mid sized community hospitals, and that is where they are going. Granted if you want to do Peds at a university hospital, prepare yourself for 120k, but I really don't think I would complain.