1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Why pay for CBT's if you have the R-versions?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Jumb0, 09.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumb0

Jumb0 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I have all the AAMC R-version practice exams.

As far as I know, R exams = CBT exams + extra passages. In other words, CBTs are merely a subset within R.
    If this is the case, what would be the point of purchasing CBT's ? As I understand it, the only reason one would shell out $35 a piece for the CBT's when they already own the R-versions would be in order to gain familiarity with using the MCAT software. Is this correct? In all other aspects, R seems to be superior. It will expose you to more topics + build more testing endurance.

My plan is to purchase only one CBT and do that in addition to the free one that they offer (#3). I figure two CBT's would be more than enough to get familiar with the testing software...it's not rocket science.

So am I correct in my assessment here?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DocKingh

DocKingh 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I didn't buy any CBTs. I had all of the R-versions and used them. AAMC 3 CBT is given for free so I would do that one online. However, just do the others with the R-version. I think taking one CBT is enough exposure to the computer test (especially if it saves money!). If you have the pdf versions of the R exams, I would do them on a computer instead of printing them.

4. Gauss44

Gauss44 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Answer to title: Because the R versions contain some of the same passages in AAMC's current self assessments. They are also a different length than the CBTs, so if you want to get your stamina and rhythm down, using a different length exam for practice may or may not be a good plan.

5. Carbon090

Carbon090 Deadlift pls 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Not sure if you guys could help, but where do you find the R versions online?

6. justadream

justadream 5+ Year Member

1) R-versions may have some content that is no longer tested.
    2) Timing will be off
    3) It's not simulating the CBT experience. I think doing it 8 different times helped me.
    4) If you use the R-version, are you going to get the Self-Assessment (which takes passages from the R versions)? If so, now when you go through the SA, you may have to decide for each passage whether you have done it before. Alternatively, if you do the SA first, then on the R-versions, many of the passages will repeat and you will have an inaccurate assessment of your scores.

There are certain things you can be cheap about in the pre-med process. AAMC FLs is not one of those things.

7. canttellmenothin

canttellmenothin 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just my 2 cents but I used the R-version exams to prep and felt that because they were longer, it helped build up my stamina and endurance. When I took the real thing it went by really quickly and I never felt tired or pressed for time. I'd say if you found some way to get them free... (arrggh!) go for it and save the money. I never had a problem adapting the the CBT format for the real MCAT.

8. SOOyC52H1Sof

SOOyC52H1Sof 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    one of the biggest annoyances was with the 4R test. None of the answer keys matched up, and it was a pain to grade. I decided to be nice and post up an answer key on scribd, and so far, over 2600 people have used it so far.

9. organesha

organesha 2+ Year Member

I did pretty much the same thing. Took 3 online, 4,5,8, and 9 R, and then bought 10 and 11 CBT to get back into the CBT zone before the real deal. Taking the R tests built mental stamina that helped later on.

10. nolookpass

nolookpass 5+ Year Member

Any answer to this?

11. BrothaX

BrothaX 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Message me

12. DocKingh

DocKingh 2+ Year Member

I second this! The R versions helped build mental stamina and they also made the real test seem to go by quickly. You are still going to be pressed for time (at least on verbal) on the real test though, but you will have the endurance to keep going and not feel as tired because of your practice with longer tests.

13. Ailleurs

Ailleurs 7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've heard accounts of people using the AAMC 1 test, but know that it is rather "rare." Anybody know where I could find it/get it?

14. justadream

justadream 5+ Year Member

Some portions of that may be in the AAMC Self-Assessment.

I think it was removed since its covers a lot of old (not tested) content.

Ailleurs likes this.
  15. Ailleurs

Ailleurs 7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks!

16. SN2ed

SN2ed Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thread closed. Discussion of pirated material is not allowed.

About the ads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.