USMLE/COMLEX Why pay "tax" for buying online DIT course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

betal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No other online course charge you taxes on online course except DIT. Why is that? ..and why is it not mentioned on their website? on the website it says $770. tax for your Step1 course is north of $60.:thumbdown:

2011 DIT course for Step1 is not going to be available until March 14th. Why this information is not posted on your website?

Please give correct informations on your website. The wonderful thing is..... no fine prints on the bottom of your website..... you will only find out when you will buy it.

Members don't see this ad.

.Hi Betal!.

.The tax we charge is required by law. If you are interested in the full legal disclosure please read below.

.As far as our website not stating that our 2011 course is not available until March 14th on the site, I'm sorry you feel that we do not post it prominently. I thought we had done a pretty good job making this public knowledge, our customer service team and student advisors always disclose that information when students inquire. Also, are you on our mailing list? We are sending an email reminder of the start date today.

. However, I will definitely submit your feedback to our web development team to add additional mentions now and in the future! :idea:Here is a link to our site to demonstrate that it does indeed exist:.

http://www.doctorsintraining.com/usmle-step-1/course-options/online-2011

.Legal explanation of taxes below.

.The obligation of a vendor to collect and remit sales and use tax in any state is called Nexus. Nexus is created by both the products and the activities of the vendor and vary from state to state. For example, Doctors In Training sells a streaming video product as opposed to a fiscal DVD or a downloadable product. In many states this type of product is not subject to sales and use tax. However, if the vendor visits the state and solicits sales then Nexus has been created and sales and use tax is required to be charged, collected and remitted by the vendor. Secondly, Doctors In Training has a printed and bound study guide that is delivered to the customer as a part of the purchase of our Step 1 and Step 2 product, this action creates Nexus in certain tax jurisdictions. .

.In the US there are over 12,000 separate tax jurisdictions, which creates a great difficulty for vendors trying to comply with 12,000 different sales and use tax codes. Doctors In Training has engaged the services of Avalara, a vendor that tracts all tax codes and all amendments to tax codes in all US taxing jurisdictions. Avalara provides DIT the service of calculating what tax, if any, is due on a transaction based on the address our customer has given us to ship materials through the AvaTax tax engine. This tax engine takes the code that accurately pertains to our product and determines if tax is due in accordance with the tax code of the exact location given. .

.The situation exists where the brick and mortar businesses in every state are filing complaint that they have to charge sales tax on the same product that an online vendor sells tax free. The online vendor does not produce jobs within the state or pay income and/or real estate and real property tax in a state as the physical business does, creating an unfair commerce situation. The states all have budgets in deficit and are enacting laws to close the gap in sales and use tax. The bottom line is all transactions will be subject to these taxes within the near term. Many of the online vendors that are not charging sales tax are in fact violating tax code. We have performed the full analysis and the tax we charge and collect is in compliance with these tax codes..

Thaks for your answer. I appreciate it.
I am enrolled in Falcon review and DIT.
No other online course ask to pay taxes except DIT.....you can call them and ask about it. I think the above US law mentioned by you, apply to them as well.
It will be better to put that upfront on your website, rather than just saying $770.
When I subscibed Falcon, I exactly paid what is written on their website. But when I subscibed DIT, I paid more than $60 on tax besides $770, which is mentioned on your website....and I wasn't happy about it.
Anyway.....thanks for your answer again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thaks for your answer. I appreciate it.
I am enrolled in Falcon review and DIT.
No other online course ask to pay taxes except DIT.....you can call them and ask about it. I think the above US law mentioned by you, apply to them as well.
It will be better to put that upfront on your website, rather than just saying $770.
When I subscibed Falcon, I exactly paid what is written on their website. But when I subscibed DIT, I paid more than $60 on tax besides $770, which is mentioned on your website....and I wasn't happy about it.
Anyway.....thanks for your answer again.
Agreed!

Yea I was pretty upset too about taxes, enough to look this up. And I don't understand why DIT will not allow you access to material before the start date. If they are interested in all the videos being watched in a certain time period prior to the USMLE, that's fine, just track it and we will watch them again. By allowing the videos to be viewed prior we can listen to them while running or traveling during our rotations and hence potentially better our scores. YouTube is good for that, but a little disorganized. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.