Why should I get into medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ULTRON

No Food And Drinks in Lab
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I came to America was to get rich. I decided to get into medical school because it is the "highest" paid profession. My dad - a college dropout - owns a huge liquor store and 3 laundromats generating a net income / cash flow of over $700,000 per year. He plans to buy a $1.5 million 30-room apartment unit later this year. Furthermore, he wants me to join in and make money with him.

I've been accepted to medical school....why should I go? What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

ULTRON said:
The reason I came to America was to get rich. I decided to get into medical school because it is the "highest" paid profession. My dad - a college dropout - owns a huge liquor store and 3 laundromats generating a net income / cash flow of over $700,000 per year. He plans to buy a $1.5 million 30-room apartment unit later this year. Furthermore, he wants me to join in and make money with him.

:rolleyes:

You should go because you want to be a doctor, not because you want to make money.

Go into business with your dad...

Members don't see this ad :)
If your motivation is money, go into the business realm with your dad. You'll be much happier.

i could never stand people doing things for the sole pursuit of $ as a career; a friend of mine was ibanking and hated it; if you really get alot of satisfaction from rolling in the dough then go into business with your dad and run laundromats, you'll make more that way.

ULTRON said:
The reason I came to America was to get rich.

Then go the business route - not many MD's I know struggle with money, but they don't own an island in the Carribbean either.

Then again, getting punched by a patient or puked on is priceless.

The OP is trolling.

And if he's not, I sure hope he doesn't go to medical school. Imagine, someone who actually wants to help patients would lose their spot because this bozo wants to milk it for all the $ he can. :thumbdown:

Hahaha. I love this thread more than I love life itself. Please, my fellow SDNers, look past this silly OP...

ULTRON said:

You should not go because you will be a piss-poor doctor.

I'm never disappointed by the posters here. How can a bunch of bright future docs be so completely humorless and gullible?

Just about every day there is a blatant troll post. At least 5 people reply back with honest and well meaning answers.

Even better are the holier-than-thou, sanctity-of-the-profession replies to jokey questions like 'who here took a shot of liquor before their interview?'

If you have to ask "why", you shouldn't be going to medical school. I think I am speaking for patients everywhere.

heeter said:
I'm never disappointed by the posters here. How can a bunch of bright future docs be so completely humorless and gullible?

Just about every day there is a blatant troll post. At least 5 people reply back with honest and well meaning answers.

Even better are the holier-than-thou, sanctity-of-the-profession replies to jokey questions like 'who here took a shot of liquor before their interview?'

Glad you approve
:thumbup:

heeter said:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
ULTRON said:

haha... ya know, i've never been a fan of people saying "this is how much money i have" blah blah blah. my question is... u think in 20 years ur gonna be happy running the business? if so, do that. but then again, u think ur gonna be happy with medicine in 20 years? if so... then do it. my biggest fear is in 20 years i'll be doing something that i won't like. that's why medicine was the right choice for me. it's a leap of faith. but gotta make it. ask urself the question.

ps. i dunno if u watch ER. but remember Carter's story?

heeter said:

ya know, my policy is... even if it's blatant, how do we know he/she's not serious. and if they are? dayum... makes u wonder. but better be safe then sorry. oh well.

virilep said:
ya know, my policy is... even if it's blatant, how do we know he/she's not serious. and if they are? dayum... makes u wonder. but better be safe then sorry. oh well.

I kind of agree -- it seems much more messed up to be wasting one's own time fabricating false (and often very contrived and in depth) questions, than to earnestly try to answer questions which might be fabricated, or might simply be asked by a confused and ill-informed individual. What are these trolls --- age 12?
So to answer the OP's question, medicine is one of the harder professions, a true test of endurance, and no longer the highest paid profession. Physicians do fine financially, but per hour are probably underpaid, given the lengthy schooling and training requirement. So if money is your number one criteria, don't waste your time with it.

AnotherDork said:
Why is he so concerned that he got laid off if his dad is pulling in 700K a year?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=64967

BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahaha...it's so funny seeing these trolls get busted from people searching their previous posts. First the fake Harvard acceptance last week and now a guy saying his dad makes 700k a year and yet he's worried about being laid off. :laugh: :laugh:

To the OP-

You are going to be a huge failure in life if you have to ask someone else those questions. You're an insult to people who really wish to enter medicine, and an insult to your father. Committ suicide now! Save yourself.

:laugh: Just kidding. But thanks, that let off a little steam. hehe

Stupiddork opined:

AnotherDork said:
Why is he so concerned that he got laid off if his dad is pulling in 700K a year?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=64967

BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry man, but unlike YOU - a daddy's boy - I'm all about standing on my own feet. The fact that you didn't understand the question I posted, I find it hard to believe that you're a premed.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

ULTRON

ULTRON said:

I would never convince you to go to medical school. In fact, I'm going to do my best to convince you NOT to go into medicine. You shouldn't go because I don't ever want to work along side or be seen by a physician who is only there for the money. A couple of qualities a physician should have are a deep desire to want to help others medically and to be an advocate for their patients. Your post does not show that you exhibit any of those qualities. I think you should help your dad out with his liquor store and laundromats.

Please don't go into medicine, it's obvious you're not here for the right reason. Go do whatever you want, but I think we don't need anymore poorly motivated doctors.