Why so few east coast students at UNLV? Also, is UNLV heavily LDS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNCafDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like UNLV has a lot of out of state students, but most are from the surrounding states.

Is that because many east coasters don't apply or because UNLV does not give east coasters much consideration?

I am a VA resident interested in applying to UNLV (in addition to VCU and others). It's my only non east coast dental school (as of now), so I wanted to get some insight.

Also, will being a 23 year old single female put me in the minority? I am not LDS and I wonder if a lot of the students are and are married with children.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

definitely apply! maybe those in the east coast just do not choose to move out to LV. 50% of their enrolled students are supposed to be in state because it is a state school they give preference to those in state.

There are going to be a lot of LDS students at every dental school. I have heard that there are a decent amount at UNLV because of the proximity to Utah. Can anyone confirm that?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am the original poster. I am not opposed to LDS at all.... I am asking more in terms of if a lot of the students are married with children (vs. other schools). I am a single female.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry about religious denominations in dental school. It's completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Just go to the school where you can see yourself be successful.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I don't think it is an irrelevant question. When religion is such a big part of someone's life that it becomes more than a religion, it can indirectly have an effect on those around them (not necessarily negative or positive, but a noticeable difference). I can say personally that that is the case with most LDS people. Having a class with a high LDS population can change the dynamic of the class, especially if most of them are married and have kids. They tend to be less social (with classmates) and have a different study schedule, although just as hard working as anybody else. And on top of that, if the original poster who is a single female is looking for anything romantic (which I don't recommend with any classmate), or even just some social friends or study partners, that would definitely be affected by this. I can't say much about the LDS population at UNLV, but I know that Las Vegas has a pretty large LDS population.
Anyway, I just wanted to back up the question since I don't think it is irrelevant-- although I also don't think it should be considered too heavily.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't remember seeing a lot of LDS people at my interview. If anything, half of our interview group was Persian?

a large portion of my classmates are mormons (if that is what you mean by LDS). but not the majority. if you are looking for a study group or close friends, u will not be affected by this. I am sure at least 50% are non-mormon.

there are some east coast students in my class. the majority of OOS come from surrounding states probably because the students choose to apply to UNLV due to the proximity to home not that the school is selective to pick students from surrounding states.

the male:female ratio student for my class is tipped to the bigger percentage being male. The school administration has said they would want a 50:50 ratio. hence, if you apply as a female, you will be in a good run (aka a bit more favorable, not mean to sound sexist) the 4-5 year admission data always show a bigger percentage being male and the school tries to balance this.

overall, it is a state school that let you switch to in state at ease after a year. it is probably the only dental school an OOS student can attend for 350k debt at the end.

overall, it is a state school that let you switch to in state at ease after a year. it is probably the only dental school an OOS student can attend for 350k debt at the end.

Not quite. A fair number of dental schools are the same (Maryland, UConn, UCSF, Buffalo, etc)

Not quite. A fair number of dental schools are the same (Maryland, UConn, UCSF, Buffalo, etc)

my bad, should have said one of the few OOS on the West coast:).

but i heard at Maryland, the residency switch is stricter that you have to buy some property or something? I can be wrong. UConn accepts so few OOS

and yea UCSF and Buffalo residence switch are pretty nice also.

my bad, should have said one of the few OOS on the West coast:).

but i heard at Maryland, the residency switch is stricter that you have to buy some property or something? I can be wrong. UConn accepts so few OOS

and yea UCSF and Buffalo residence switch are pretty nice also.

Switching is a bit harder for Maryland. Maryland is one of the few schools that kind of stays out of switching process. Most schools either tell you "No" or "Yes, here are the forms" to begin with. Maryland says go ahead and try. It may happen 2nd year, but probably not until 3rd year....

The dental school kind of stays out of it, and you have to figure out the process by yourself with the University's Register.

* This is using second hand info.

Switching is a bit harder for Maryland. Maryland is one of the few schools that kind of stays out of switching process. Most schools either tell you "No" or "Yes, here are the forms" to begin with. Maryland says go ahead and try. It may happen 2nd year, but probably not until 3rd year....

The dental school kind of stays out of it, and you have to figure out the process by yourself with the University's Register.

* This is using second hand info.

no you are right, that is exactly what I heard and is confirmed also but I just couldn't recall (or afraid of saying incorrect information again).

and yea, only a few public school allow switching by simply living in that state for 12 months and UNLV is one of those for a sure switch.

good luck OP

OP I got into UNLV and I'm from the east coast, I think most East Coast folks in the end just don't feel like moving out that far.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile