why so many GWU applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help a west coaster understand. I vaguely know there's some type of Hoya involved (or is that Georgetown?), and DC's got great museums and it's lovely in spring, but why does George Washington U get the most med school applicants?

Why does Georgetown get 3000 fewer apps than GWU?

Baffled.

Members don't see this ad.

Help a west coaster understand. I vaguely know there's some type of Hoya involved (or is that Georgetown?), and DC's got great museums and it's lovely in spring, but why does George Washington U get the most med school applicants?

Why does Georgetown get 3000 fewer apps than GWU?

Baffled.

Hoyas are Georgetown. :p

GW gets the most applicants of any school because it's the best school in the country. Duh. :rolleyes:

P.S. GW is the Colonials (and the Hippos, unofficially)...either way, they are way better than a Hoya.

b/c its supposedly easier to get into that georgetown,
plus georgetown has the money expensive secondary in the country, 130.00 is a huge turn-off

Members don't see this ad :)
One reason is because people think that they are applying to Georgetown when they're really applying to GWU.

Another reason is because their admissions stats are lower. Look at places like BU, MCW, SLU, Tulane, etc.--they've garnered reps for being places that you might have a shot at getting into if your MCAT is 30+ yet you hail from Cali or one of the New England badboys. Better shot at getting in = more apps (lower financial risk in applying). It's rare that private schools are easier to get into than your own state school, but there are cases in which that is true.

Hoyas are Georgetown. :p

GW gets the most applicants of any school because it's the best school in the country. Duh. :rolleyes:

P.S. GW is the Colonials (and the Hippos, unofficially)...either way, they are way better than a Hoya.

I think you meant GWU is the most EXPENSIVE school in the country...UG at least....and I'd rather be a bulldog than a hippo anyday ;)

I think you meant GWU is the most EXPENSIVE school in the country...UG at least....and I'd rather be a bulldog than a hippo anyday ;)

I think it's only the second most expensive med school. I think Tufts costs more, and maybe a few of those ridiculous OOS tuition schools like Colorado or Michigan State. Georgetown isn't exactly free either.

But seriously, I think GW gets the most applicants because it's a good school in a popular location that has numbers (MCAT/GPA) that aren't quite as intimidating as some other schools. The reason Georgetown gets 3,000 less apps is probably because it is perceived to be harder to get into and they charge a ridiculous $130 for their secondary fee.

edit: I realized BrownianMotion essentially pointed out these facts already. Props to him/her.

GW has a fantastic location. DC is AWESOME (I'm a little biased) but GW's location in terms of accessibility and living expenses is far superior to Georgetown. Georgetown is one big hassle, for the most part.

Oh yeah, and that nasty secondary fee. Ew. Even applying to their SMP was $120.

But seriously, I think GW gets the most applicants because it's a good school in a popular location that has numbers (MCAT/GPA) that aren't quite as intimidating as some other schools. The reason Georgetown gets 3,000 less apps is probably because it is perceived to be harder to get into and they charge a ridiculous $130 for their secondary fee.

Yep, GWU charged $105 while Georgetown charged $130. $25 makes a big difference when it comes down to eliminating which secondaries to send and which to ignore. That and the part about more lenient numbers/MCAT/GPA that tacrum already mentioned.