Status
Not open for further replies.

ChenMary

Removed
Jul 28, 2009
Status
This is more a cultural question -- why do y'all think there are so many South Asians in pre medicine? It seems like they are flooding the hospitals.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
why are there so many black people in the nba. seems like they're flooding the league

DrSno

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Status
They have a higher IQ distribution than many of the other races/ethnicities. I know you said it was a cultural question but those inept explanations won't do.

May 31, 2009
Toronto
Status
Pre-Medical
South Asians have this intrinsic desire to become doctors from the moment they are born.

Part of it comes from their parents and relatives who all think doctor is the best profession to be. The respect doctors get in the community is phenomenal and can make anyone jealous.

And I guess part of it comes from the genes. We are homozygous for the dominant allele of the doctor gene...DDs

OP
ChenMary

ChenMary

Removed
Jul 28, 2009
Status
South Asians have this intrinsic desire to become doctors from the moment they are born.

Part of it comes from their parents and relatives who all think doctor is the best profession to be. The respect doctors get in the community is phenomenal and can make anyone jealous.

And I guess part of it comes from the genes. We are homozygous for the dominant allele of the doctor gene...DDs

:laugh:

theslowclap

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
hey, if a robot can reduce human suffering and cure diseases, i really don't care where it comes from. why should race or nationality matter as long as the person can perform? maybe south asians just want it more? i know personally, my parents never suggested medicine or even brought it up in conversation. and i'm assuming that you're assuming that stereotype of some cultural push into medicine. im simply using my interests and passions to pursue a career in which i think i'll be happy.

vishnupatel

Removed
Jul 28, 2009
Status
I - myself - hail from a South Asian family. I would attribute it to the fact that you make good amount of money, help people, and have a nice status among the community. I'm just being honest.

Especially in this economy, a stable career like medicine is especially nice if you want to score with the aunties.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I - myself - hail from a South Asian family. I would attribute it to the fact that you make good amount of money, help people, and have a nice status among the community. I'm just being honest.

Especially in this economy, a stable career like medicine is especially nice if you want to score with the aunties.
[email protected]

OP
ChenMary

ChenMary

Removed
Jul 28, 2009
Status
hey, if a robot can reduce human suffering and cure diseases, i really don't care where it comes from. why should race or nationality matter as long as the person can perform? maybe south asians just want it more? i know personally, my parents never suggested medicine or even brought it up in conversation. and i'm assuming that you're assuming that stereotype of some cultural push into medicine. im simply using my interests and passions to pursue a career in which i think i'll be happy.
Out of curiousity, are you south asian?

Status
Not open for further replies.