Why some in-state schools give preferences to out-of-state applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mkif586

Reaction score
Hello everyone. As I started going through MSAR I noticed that fair amount of state schools actually prefer to accept OOS applicants, at least you can have lower numbers to get in. I didn't go over every single school yet but the trend definitely persists among some schools. I just wonder why it is like that? I always though that in order to get into a state school one must have above average stats, but it turns out that in fact it is easier to get into these schools as an OOS applicant than as an IS one. Can someone please clarify this?
From the MSAR:
Central Michigan University College of Medicine:
Average OOS accepted student had 507/3.6/3.48
Average IS accepted student had 510/3.74/3.66
The University of Toledo College of Medicine:
Average OOS accepted student had 509/3.68/3.63
Average IS accepted student had 510/3.79/3.71
East Tennessee State University:
Average OOS accepted student had 510/3.72/3.72
Average IS accepted student had 509/3.84/3.83
Eastern Virginia Medical School:
Average OOS accepted student had 512/3.71/3.64
Average IS accepted student had 514/3.75/3.68

Members don't see this ad.

It's not easier to get into those schools, statistically it's still much harder for OOS students. It's just that the out of state students they happened to choose had lower stats on average.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not easier to get into those schools, statistically it's still much harder for OOS students. It's just that the out of state students they happened to choose had lower stats on average.
But why would schools screw in-state folks for someone from another state and with lower stats?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mythoclast nailed it. I can't speak to all of them, but the few OOS at ETSU are only neighboring counties and veterans. These folks might have great ECs and experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone. As I started going through MSAR I noticed that fair amount of state schools actually prefer to accept OOS applicants, at least you can have lower numbers to get in. I didn't go over every single school yet but the trend definitely persists among some schools. I just wonder why it is like that? I always though that in order to get into a state school one must have above average stats, but it turns out that in fact it is easier to get into these schools as an OOS applicant than as an IS one. Can someone please clarify this?
From the MSAR:
Central Michigan University College of Medicine:
Average OOS accepted student had 507/3.6/3.48
Average IS accepted student had 510/3.74/3.66
The University of Toledo College of Medicine:
Average OOS accepted student had 509/3.68/3.63
Average IS accepted student had 510/3.79/3.71
East Tennessee State University:
Average OOS accepted student had 510/3.72/3.72
Average IS accepted student had 509/3.84/3.83
Eastern Virginia Medical School:
Average OOS accepted student had 512/3.71/3.64
Average IS accepted student had 514/3.75/3.68
Those people usually have SIGNIFICANT ties to the state, like growing up there, or having gone to college there, especially if the med school has a parent UG school.

You're also looking at the wrong thing. Pay attention tot he IS/OOS ratios of apps, interviews and final matriculants. double the number of the latter and that's a rough rule of thumb for acceptees. So for Central MI, you'll see very few OOS students.

Also, not all IS applicants are of a caliber the schools wants.

It isn't easier, it's harder:

East Tennessee: 220 IS interviewed, 125 accepted; 43 OOS interviewed, 26 accepted.
Toledo: 287 IS interviewed, 216 accepted; 110 OOS interviewed, 89 accepted.

Now put those 89 and 26 acceptances into the context that IS applications are about 600, and OOS are around 1K+

They may be scooping up some applicants who will bring diversity to the student body, they may be looking for some OOS tuition dollars and willing to setting for adequate but not stellar applicants to get those dollars, and those numbers could be within the margin of error and not statistically significant.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.