Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Why speed of light faster in warm air?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by aries12r40, Jan 3, 2009.

1. aries12r40

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am having trouble figuring out why light travels faster in warmer air. Anyone has any idea?

2. StudentDoctora

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Perhaps because the atoms/molecules in the hot air are moving faster, and thus create less resistance for the light waves to travel through (since they get pushed out of the way more quickly)?

3. thatscorrect7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    isnt it just

v = sqrt(B/rho)

rho (density) is lower so v is faster

4. aries12r40

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hm...so why does warmer air has lighter density? i know that warm air goes up and cold air sinks....but now thinking about that density=mass/volume, i don't see how anymore...

5. FutureInternist

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it's because given the same mass, hotter air has higher volume (d/t having more energy) & hence lighter density.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Playmakur42

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Following D=M/V, as air heats up, the gas molecules begin to move faster and further apart......which leads to fewer molecules of the gas in any given volume. If there are now less molecules in that static volume, the mass will be less and thus density will also be less.

7. engineeredout

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Uh do you mean speed of sound is faster in warm air?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Yope

Yope New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    light is also faster in warm air. air that is less dense has a lower index of refraction, so light travels faster than it would in cooler, denser air.

9. MBHockey

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Neither light nor sound are immune to the effects of a medium.

To the OP: 'things' travel faster through warm air because (as others have stated) warm air is less dense than cooler air. Think of liquids. Viscous fluids (like oils) would be much more resistant to having objects pass through them than less viscous fluids (like water) or an ideal inviscid fluid.

10. missdoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I don't think all of that is exactly right. Density and temperature aren't directly related.. The temperature of air can be raised while the density remains the same provided that the volume remains the same. And yes, moving objects travel slower in more dense bodies- but sound isn't an object.

Sound travels by a series of vibrations-therefore the more dense the body it is moving through, the faster it can go. It doesn't face resistance in dense objects at all- the density/tension of the solid increases the speed. Sound travels fastest through solids and slowest through gases. Because of it's properties- sound will travel faster through warm air than it will cold air. And this makes sense, the molecules in warm air will be bouncing around much more rapidly than in cold air (density aside), which is what the traveling of sound is dependent on. The same applies to light traveling in warmer air.

11. MBHockey

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I only mentioned sound in response to the poster I quoted (notice I didn't say that both were affected analogously, just that both were affected by media in general). The analogy I offered had nothing to do with sound, but I see now why that fact is somewhat unclear. I have a bad habit of not rereading my posts prior to submitting them.

The point about retaining air in a constant volume, though, is really not applicable to this example since an an obvious and underlying assumption of something being thrown through air is that it isn't taking place within some sort of giant rigid enclosure :)

12. missdoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    haha okay i see your point. i guess it depends on what the exact question was.. perhaps the environment was a factor, maybe not.
    i guess we always have to be aware those cursed MCAT people love to throw in curve balls!

13. MBHockey

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Indeed! :D

14. reising1

Pre-Medical
    The reason why light travels slower in dense mediums is because light is reasborbed and re-emitted by the atomic structure of the optically dense medium, which of course takes more time.

15. Ron1x

2+ Year Member

wow did this get bumped, also... sound would NOT travel faster in the less dense/warm air. Sound travels faster the more dense the medium.

16. QrtrLifeCrisis

2+ Year Member

Incorrect. Sound travels faster in a less dense medium. Sound also travels faster in a medium that is less compressible.

17. Ron1x

2+ Year Member

Whoa, you're right I had confused density with less compressible..