Why St Louis U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy, I have a interview upcoming with St Louis U. I was wondering if any St Louis students could let me know what they like most about their school. What do you thing the selling points are? My interview is off campus so I won't have the benefit of being given a tour. I guess what I really want to know is what is it like to be a SLU med student.
AW

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a SLU med student, but I interviewed at SLU in March. The students I met for the most part were very friendly and helpful. The admissions department, on the other hand, was less than impressive. Best of luck on the interview

Whitey,

I think SLU is a fine school. I am from a warmer state but as far as weather is concerned, its much more beautiful here during the fall and spring in many respects than southern california. Summers can be humid and hot but not that bad. Winters have little snow but can be chilly. anyhow..sorry for the digression...

..the clinical training at SLU is pretty darn good and I would say gives it an advantage in many respects over quite a few schools. I think in part it is their outreach to the underserved...ie. the student run health clinic among many areas. While your admissions staff experience wasn't the greatest, they are pretty nice and cooperative. Overall, one of the strong points of the school is the admission listens to the students and does all they can to fix areas that are concern whether financial, academic or just plain comfort. This is huge in looking for a school. To top it off, academically the school is in a good disposition. A new research building will solidify its reputation and enhance opportunities (research can be icing on the cake for certain if not most specialties when applying). And finally, our USMLE Step 1 taken after your 2nd year had a 97% pass rate...compare that to the 90% pass rate nationally.

Hope that helps. SLU's a good school.

wyldstyle
4th year med student @SLU

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who can answer....

I was accepted to SLU on 10/15, and was wondering what the surrounding St. Louis area was like. Some have said that SLU (and WashU for that matter) is not in the best part of town and that you shouldn't live alone b/c it may be dangerous. What do you think?

Area around Wash U seems alright, does SLU offer student housing?

AsianDoc816 said:
For anyone who can answer....

I was accepted to SLU on 10/15, and was wondering what the surrounding St. Louis area was like. Some have said that SLU (and WashU for that matter) is not in the best part of town and that you shouldn't live alone b/c it may be dangerous. What do you think?

I am actually a premed undergrad at SLU. The area around SLU is sketchy. Like most cities, it really depends on the street you are on. There are quite a few nice outlying areas of St. Louis that are not to far from SLU. The real question is how close to school do you want to be? If you want to stay within 15-20 minutes of school, you can live in a safe and nice area. As always, stay away from state streets. The state streets are usually on the evening news the most. SLU medical school also has a listing of possible housing close by. I would go onto the med school's website, look under the housing for new students, then instead of going to the acrobat file, click on the menu on the left side and it gives you a run down of what the most popular complexes to live in and what the students thought of the housing. Hopefully this was helpful. If you need more specific info, like actual names of the outlying areas, then let me know. :)