1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

why stand on a silent platform fight the war f%ck the norm

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by jetproppilot, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jetproppilot

jetproppilot Turboprop Driver
    10+ Year Member

Anyone wanna tell me where the title to my thread came from?

I've learned alot from my

creative right brained friends, about

how to

LOOK AT SOMETHING

artwork, movie scripts, prose, lyrics, personal situation including success and tragedy, religion, spirituality, etc, and leave said something with

MEANING.

The title of my thread

resonates

in me.

DO YOU FEEL IT?

Do you

FEEL WHATS GOING ON AROUND YOU?

How we, medical studs, think, stereotypically is

STERILE.

I encourage you MD savants out there to experience life sometimes

OUTSIDE OF YOUR SAFETY ZONE.

My talented, creative homies have taught me things that have broadened my horizons.

#1 jetproppilot, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scudrunner

scudrunner ASAPAC Supporter
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njf578br-PU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

4. 2win

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i really do!

5. MeaCulpa

MeaCulpa Run and do not grow weary
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Not sure if I am feeling you...but one of my all time favorite quotes is this:

Success rests with having the courage and endurance and, above all, the will to become the person you are, however peculiar that may be. Then you will be able to say, "I have found my hero and he is me."
    -Dr. George Sheehan

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions,
    perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer"- David Henry Thoreau

"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (The Little Prince)

Jet, I think being different is great, it is too easy to be another cog in the machinery. Not to harp on my religion, but that is why I am a believer. It seemed difficult to me. So many people I used to know thought that I was crazy. I love the challenge, to prove people wrong. To search out the hard things. To do all things to my fullest. I despise laziness in thought or action. But I have empathy for those who dont share my convictions. Maybe I have a leg up on most people, because its easy to do your own thing when you are a lot taller/bigger than other people, they tend to not directly question you, although my wife keeps me humble thats for sure.

6. jetproppilot

jetproppilot Turboprop Driver
    10+ Year Member

There it is.

SCUD, THANKS FOR THAT MAN.

I'll let Zack take it from here.

#5 jetproppilot, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  7. mersault

7+ Year Member

How we, medical studs, think, stereotypically is

STERILE.

Sterile. Word.
    it may just be me, but I feel like there's so little left to the imagination in medicine. rarely do people seem to have to "think outside the box." I miss physics so much sometimes.
    I'm just starting my medical journey though, so this opinion may definitely change with more experience.

8. C.P.

C.P. Slacker
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's not our fault, it's the system's fault more than anything else.
    When I got into medical school, they paraded us out, one by one, introducing us and how diverse we were, how "non-medical" we were. Glass blowers, pianists, programmers, bakers, gymnasts, newscasters, journalists, adventurers.
    The medical schools selected us to break the mold and be the "atypical" doctors, the non-science hearted, but science minded professionals that would bridge the doctor patient gap.
    The problem is, as soon as we got in, they systematically beat it all out of us.
    There was never any focus on nuturing that diversity, on making time for it, on encouraging holding onto the calvacade of characteristics that made us unique as human beings, and even more-so as doctors.

Medicine is sterile because we were taught to live it that way, and the only way to change it is to make it change ourselves, after we've passed through so many of its hoops and are now attendings, squinting at our past and remembering things we used to don but haven't done in a long time.

It's simply up to us to change it, and do so by encouraging that diversity that we're missing up at the top.

9. MeaCulpa

MeaCulpa Run and do not grow weary
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Extremely well put

10. countingdays

countingdays ASA Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  11. Planktonmd

Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Long time ago medicine was a mixture of art, science and interpersonal skills.
    The Doctor was first human, second a father and third a healer.
    These were the golden days of medicine and these were the days when many doctors were also artists, poets, philosophers...
    many of us went to medical school with that romantic image of medicine on their minds.
    These great days are now long gone and the glory of Medicine exists only in history and in the memories of our elders.

12. Frank Rizzo

Frank Rizzo Member
    10+ Year Member

Great band. Morello can shred.

13. Substance

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It truly was an unfortunate coincidence that RATM broke up around the time 9/11 - the most significant political event the Western world had experienced since Hiroshima - happened. Popular music really could have used their political outspokenness.

Medical school selects for risk-averse, passive-aggressive conformists.

Once in, the training is closer to military training than scholarly training. Whoever you were is beaten out of you, and who you become is like everyone else.

It could be like the old days again if there wasn't so much to lose for medical students and medical professionals. If tuition were not so expensive, and/or salaries weren't high(though they should be), and/or applicants were mostly wealthy old-money aristocrats with influential parents, we could see a return to form. It's sad to say it, but we're so worried about losing what we've worked for, so worried about losing the carrot on the end of the stick, that we're willing to destroy our humanity in the process.

14. FiremedicMike

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Political outspokenness? Don't get me wrong, I used to really enjoy rocking out all angry like to some RATM, but when I stopped and listened to their lyrics I realized they were about the biggest bunch of whiny liberal idealists on the planet.

15. Substance

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Totally. Their severely leftist lyrics are kind of hilarious. But its refreshing to have that kind of youthful idealism and counterpoint to the rightist government in popular music.

16. cfdavid

cfdavid Membership Revoked
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dude, I hate to say it, but if you're looking for creativity in medical school, you'll remain sorely disappointed. I obviously respect the intelligence and capability of a great many of my colleagues, but I yearned to chat about something OTHER than medicine all throughout med school.

17. epidural man

epidural man ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Wow, that is a lot of people.

18. epidural man

epidural man ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I totally agree. Whenever I go to a happy hour with my medical buds, we always end up talking about something related to medicine and work...:yawn:

I think it takes real effort to become that person that leaves his work behind each day.

19. Narcotized

7+ Year Member