Why take USMLE STEP II as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm all signed up and getting ready to take this test in a few weeks, but I realized that I don't even know why I am taking it. I understand that for someone with a low STEP I score, doing well on the STEP II will increase their competitiveness. But what else is it good for? It is indeed the COMLEX steps which allows the osteopath to practice medicine....so why did my brain feel this test was needed?

Fellowships? Do hospitals/groups prefer DO's that pass all three USMLE steps as well? Passing all three steps will make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but what real good is it?

I'm sure that the 2005ers aren't going to fork out the extra grand to take the USMLE STEP II CS in addition to the COMLEX CS.

Perphaps I am just looking to procrastinate.

Members don't see this ad.

You may need it someday. Remember how second year DO students are always thinking about not taking USMLE step 1? How big of a mistake would that have been?

Maybe a fellowship or your dream job will want it. What if you switch specialities? Although these reasons may sound silly, it would be nice to have it just in case. Now is the time when you are best prepared so why not just get it over with?