Why the bad attitude?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoseInTheMud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I work in the medical field and I encounter a lot of docs with such sh**ty attitudes. I mean, the majority of mds' (that I've encountered) are always such a tight ass. Why is this? :confused: Kinda turns you off about working with people like that...

Members don't see this ad.

They are mad at the insurance companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
  • Issue you'll always encounter with humans
  • Issue you'll always encounter with humans in power
  • Issue you'll often encounter with humans who hate their job
  • Issue you'll often encounter with humans bitter about loans, debt, reality of being a doctor
  • Issue you'll often encounter with humans who had a bad day
  • Issue you'll often encounter with humans that just have difficulty coping with difficulty, have a negative outlook on life, and were never taught how to handle problems in a respectful, polite manner when dealing with others because they were probably spoiled by their mother for being her perefect darling child who got good grades and school and had ambitions of saving the world through healing.

I think that about does it.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently I work in the medical field and I encounter a lot of docs with such sh**ty attitudes. I mean, the majority of mds' (that I've encountered) are always such a tight ass. Why is this? :confused: Kinda turns you off about working with people like that...

Medicine = serious business.

We need some context here. When are you seeing them in such a bad mood? Perhaps it is the lack of understanding of the culture that is affecting your judgment? Want to know something else cruel about medicine? Many physicians, nurses, techs and other medical personnel will at one time or another make fun of their patients behind the patient's back. It happens. I just blew your mind didn't I? :cool:

You spend the majority of you 20's (exempt are non-trads) working your ass off and busting balls inside a library and classroom to get to your dream job, giving up invaluable time with friends and family to get yourself that title of Doctor that have you have fantasized about since intro bio freshman year of college. Gone are the days of worrying about what every other pre-med douche is up to, now you actually get to work with patients and save LIVES!!! You feel on top of the world and think you are Gods gift to planet Earth, but from day one you are pulling 60 hour weeks only to be **** on by some insurance company as some a**hole sitting behind a desk with no more than 4 years of education gets to tell you how to be a doctor and what tests should be run as well as what medication you can prescribe. Then you wonder wtf you went to medical school for??

still an awesome career path though and I don't think I would change my choice for the world. All jobs have negatives, even medicine, but your doing something most only dream about and should be damn proud you get to walk into a hospital everyday with a white coat on and have everyone refer to you as Doctor. If you help one person then it was all worth it...

I agree with the first paragraph...I agree even more with the second.

Of course it is. But that's not an excuse

I'm not sure what you're looking for then..legitimately justified reasons for bad attitudes? I'm with SuperHiro, please add some context like where do you interact w/ these doctors, under what circumstances, etc.? imo it's hard not to make excuses to broad generalizations is all.

OK, for example I use to intern at a family practice (previous degree). Middle aged, West Indian physician. He would come in every morning (late of course) no hello, how are you doing, or anything. As a matter of fact I interned at 2 places and it was the same. Also, at the facility I work now we hardly converse with physicians, but when I do I always feel like they want to say "I can be doing something more important than talking to you about my patient." Anywho, I'm an adult, it doesn't hurt my feelings. Everyone is responsible for the patients' homeostasis, not just the physician. So, the smugness and "I don't have time for this" attitude needs to stop.

Yeah man.... f*** doctors--bunch of quacks if you ask me

OK, for example I use to intern at a family practice (previous degree). Middle aged, West Indian physician. He would come in every morning (late of course) no hello, how are you doing, or anything. As a matter of fact I interned at 2 places and it was the same. Also, at the facility I work now we hardly converse with physicians, but when I do I always feel like they want to say "I can be doing something more important than talking to you about my patient." Anywho, I'm an adult, it doesn't hurt my feelings. Everyone is responsible for the patients' homeostasis, not just the physician. So, the smugness and "I don't have time for this" attitude needs to stop.

One of the things I've observed about physicians is that, relative to the other professionals in the hospital, they tend to have more work to do relative to the time they have to do it. Physician salaries, especially in a primary care setting, eat up a huge chunk of the payroll and hospitals/practices make back the money by scheduling physicians as many patients as they can conceivably handle. On the other hand most non-physician hospital personel, like most office workers everywhere, do a very good job but eat up a significant portion of the day chatting and screwing around on the internet. They're not useless or lazy, they are in fact working more often than not, but they have a certain amount of slack built into their schedules so that they only work every minute of the day on rare, 'perfect storm' type days. On the other hand most physicians are scheduled so that they work every minute of the day on an ideal day, and even the most inevitable deviations from the plan push them into the realm of unpaid overtime.

Now as always there are exceptions to every rule: I have seen ER nurses that never stop moving and I have seen docs that spend huge chunks of their days screwing around. However, in general, I wouldn't take offense when a physician is all business while everyone else is saying good morning. The doc is just doing what he needs to do to leave on time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the things I've observed about physicians is that, relative to the other professionals in the hospital, they tend to have more work to do relative to the time they have to do it. Physician salaries, especially in a primary care setting, eat up a huge chunk of the payroll and hospitals/practices make back the money by scheduling physicians as many patients as they can conceivably handle. On the other hand most non-physician hospital personel, like most office workers everywhere, do a very good job but eat up a significant portion of the day chatting and screwing around on the internet. They're not useless or lazy, they are in fact working more often than not, but they have a certain amount of slack built into their schedules so that they only work every minute of the day on rare, 'perfect storm' type days. On the other hand most physicians are scheduled so that they work every minute of the day on an ideal day, and even the most inevitable deviations from the plan push them into the realm of unpaid overtime.

Now as always there are exceptions to every rule: I have seen ER nurses that never stop moving and I have seen docs that spend huge chunks of their days screwing around. However, in general, I wouldn't take offense when a physician is all business while everyone else is saying good morning. The doc is just doing what he needs to do to leave on time.

Time is apparently perceived to be very precious for doctors. I suppose the doctors OP mentioned didn't want to spare the time to provide common courtesies professionals coworkers should have for one another. But that's not a justifiable excuse, just an explanation for an observation I suppose :shrug:

Because people are hell (or hell is people.)

If you help one person then it was all worth it...

Please tell me this is a joke. You can help hundreds, if not thousands of people with a GED or high school diploma. To argue that helping one person after going through all that schooling makes it worth it is very short sighted. People with no formal medical education save lives quite a few times (administering CPR), but they didn't have to put in any of the years or hours of dedication and hard work.

nevermind the fact that medicine attracts the god-complexed egotistical narcissists, and when you have to deal with idiots all day, it would put you in a bad mood too.

This is a non-issue anyways since as an attending you will rarely actually work with other physicians (unless you're in a combined surgery case or something). Med school and residency is a different case, though.

Maybe you should be more attractive

Many physicians, nurses, techs and other medical personnel will at one time or another make fun of their patients behind the patient's back. It happens. I just blew your mind didn't I? :cool:
One time or another? More like every single shift in the ED. The only doc I know who didn't sometimes bitch about/make fun of patients ended up burning out and leaving emergency medicine.

I always feel like they want to say "I can be doing something more important than talking to you about my patient."
They usually do. Nurses and other staff have their own protocols and and job requirements to fulfill, and these are not always super important to the docs.

Everyone is responsible for the patients' homeostasis, not just the physician. So, the smugness and "I don't have time for this" attitude needs to stop.
In the end, though, it's actually the doctor who has final responsibility. And they often don't really have time for some of the stuff the ancillary staff want to talk to them about.

Making you happy and feel good about yourself is, actually, the last thing on their agenda for the day and the thing they care the least about. /truth

They are frustrated because nurses with DNPs are calling themselves doctors. LOL These DNPs are also trying to get administrative positions which will allow them to boss doctors around.:smuggrin:

This is a non-issue anyways since as an attending you will rarely actually work with other physicians (unless you're in a combined surgery case or something). Med school and residency is a different case, though.
This isn't true at all. Physicians work with and rely on other physicians all the time.

Nah, your a joke fool. And in whats ways can you help them with that GED and high school diploma? The same way you can as a physician? NO Maybe I should have elaborated on the helping part since you want to be a douche. I actually do not feel like it because if your to stupid to figure out or see the actual differences on your own then you should dig a hole and bury your head into it for the rest of your life.

hahah, and do you know the success rate of CPR from someone outside of an advanced degree? Hell, for CPR at all? Please google and come back with that one.

Tree fiddy says you can't correct all of the grammatical errors in your own post.

Nah, your a joke fool. And in whats ways can you help them with that GED and high school diploma? The same way you can as a physician? NO Maybe I should have elaborated on the helping part since you want to be a douche. I actually do not feel like it because if your to stupid to figure out or see the actual differences on your own then you should dig a hole and bury your head into it for the rest of your life.

hahah, and do you know the success rate of CPR from someone outside of an advanced degree? Hell, for CPR at all? Please google and come back with that one.

Weak argument there.

Since you brought it up-

Nationally the success rate is about 5-7%. However, in King County (Washington) the rate is somewhere around 30-46%. Is that because there are more SOCMOBs with "advanced degrees" performing the CPR when some poor sucker goes down alluvasudden?

No, it's because the public health in that county invests in training those poor ignorant boobs (er, uh the public, I mean) how to push hard and fast.

I shadowed a doc who was often brusque with her nurses in stressful moments and/or critical with other people and even a bit harsh with me on occasion. But when not completely swamped she was amicable and open. I think a lot of the bad attitude we see from physicians stems from just the day to day stress of the job. I actually thought she was sort of bad-a** most of the time and when she told me to get out the way, I did it! I respected her perspective and realized that if she was being sharp with someone they probably deserved it. But you know, just my experience.

Doctors I know are usually pissed off about annoying patients, or patients who do whatever the heck they want and then blame the doctor for their health issues, insurance companies, long hours, long hours competing with family life, family life, etc. etc.

It could just be self-selection. Like, most doctors tend to be more "type A" and as such maybe 'type A' people are just more pissed off usually?

Its cause being a doctor isn't at all cracked up to what they expected it to be. Its just a job, not a magical experience.

The quicker you learn that the less you'll be disappointed when the time comes. The less disappointed, the less pissed off.

Grammar king on the internet, your a cool kid. Want to grade my English paper next?

Nearly 30 posts per day medzealot? Someone is a social f**k, do us all a favor and go to a bar and make some friends. Quit spending all your time on here hiding behind a computer. Just from your posts I can see you were "that" pre-med kid, you know, the one everyone hates to be around because he is a complete tool. Your number of of posts per day clearly indicates this.

Yes, and I also have daddy issues.

Are you going to accept my challenge or not?

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4483

It is about 30% in a city like Seattle, yet it is only about 1%-2% in a city like New York. Go ahead and read through that page because it clearly states EMS response there is rather quick. You alone with CPR are not going to save anyone's life. American Heart Association site clearly states that you are "buying time" for the person until EMS arrives. Also if EMS does not arrive within 8-12 minutes, CPR has been rather useless. I would also venture to guess in 98% of the country EMS arrival time is on average about or even greater than the 8-12 minutes. When I rolled my car I know those bastards were not there in 8-12 minutes, I lied there bleeding in pain for about 20 minutes until they could make it to me.

And have you ever stepped out of Nor-Cal before you decide to open your mouth?

Once again if you really think that giving CPR is considered saving a life and that you will be able to do the same thing a physician would every day then I hope you never make it into medical school because you can just save lives with your high school diploma or GED. lolz

Google images finally failed me. I'm looking for an Ad Hominem Trophy to award you on behalf of this thread, but am coming up empty. Words will have to do.

Congrats, friend. What few decent arguments you can squeeze out of that head of yours are lost in the blizzard of silly insults thrown around. Congrats. Again. You earned it.

EDIT: Since you'll reply that I'm a douche anyways, you made a 21 on the MCAT. Just saying.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4483

It is about 30% in a city like Seattle, yet it is only about 1%-2% in a city like New York. Go ahead and read through that page because it clearly states EMS response there is rather quick. You alone with CPR are not going to save anyone's life. American Heart Association site clearly states that you are "buying time" for the person until EMS arrives. Also if EMS does not arrive within 8-12 minutes, CPR has been rather useless. I would also venture to guess in 98% of the country EMS arrival time is on average about or even greater than the 8-12 minutes. When I rolled my car I know those bastards were not there in 8-12 minutes, I lied there bleeding in pain for about 20 minutes until they could make it to me.

And have you ever stepped out of Nor-Cal before you decide to open your mouth?

Once again if you really think that giving CPR is considered saving a life and that you will be able to do the same thing a physician would every day then I hope you never make it into medical school because you can just save lives with your high school diploma or GED. lolz

http://your.kingcounty.gov/aimshigh/search2.asp?HEHePtCardiacSurvival

Thanks for the kind wishes, cupcake.

Forget the grammar police; here's some reading comprehension assistance for you. The web page you linked specifically points out that immediate bystander CPR/defib improves survival.

Of course a person suffering an arrest needs definitive care in the hospital setting, but it is the willingness and the preparedness of the bystander that makes a huge difference.

And what's up with the Nor-Cal comment? Do you know my life? Could you say with certainty I've never been anywhere but the Bay Area? Pathetic... maybe you should get your head out of your ass before opening your mouth. It might prevent that problem you have with nothing but crap rolling out of it.

Google images finally failed me. I'm looking for an Ad Hominem Trophy to award you on behalf of this thread, but am coming up empty. Words will have to do.

Congrats, friend. What few decent arguments you can squeeze out of that head of yours are lost in the blizzard of silly insults thrown around. Congrats. Again. You earned it.

EDIT: Since you'll reply that I'm a douche anyways, you made a 21 on the MCAT. Just saying.
9000 points for meta-burn

mj13.gif

Awww, someone cried to the MODS. Poor babies hahah B**TCHES