Why the hell do they care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvinandhobbes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was reading some interview feedback for NYU, and it seems that they ask about what other schools you applied to (especially those in ny) quite often.

why do you think they care to know that? why would any interviewer at any school ask that?

any thoughts?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe to see what schools they will be "competing" against if they accept you.

calvinandhobbes said:
i was reading some interview feedback for NYU, and it seems that they ask about what other schools you applied to (especially those in ny) quite often.

why do you think they care to know that? why would any interviewer at any school ask that?

any thoughts?

thanks

Well, other schools can't see the list of schools that you've applied to on your AMCAS. They get the exact same print out that you get...except the list of schools. I'm guessing they want to know so they can gauge what kind of person you are (is this a safety school or is this person sincere?)....or they are trying to compete against other schools you may have applied/interviewed at. Personally, i always answer these questions by saying i applied to my state schools (if you have them....Texas/mine has many) and just a few out of state schools. I always try to follow that up by why i am specifically applying to their school (opportunities not available at state school, better funding, better atmosphere, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
BaylorGuy said:
Personally, i always answer these questions by saying i applied to my state schools (if you have them....Texas/mine has many) and just a few out of state schools. I always try to follow that up by why i am specifically applying to their school (opportunities not available at state school, better funding, better atmosphere, etc.)

word

calvinandhobbes said:

any thoughts?

thanks

Since New York is a popular state, they want to make sure you didn't apply just because of the location...so if you applied to every single medical school in NY it raises a red flag. Also I imagine there is quite a bit of competition for students and prestige among the schools--if you're a top candidate and you happened to apply to Columbia and Cornell and etc. etc., you may be rejected because that will 1) Increase their perceived selectivity and 2) You probably wouldn't have chosen them anyways.

Plus they get so many applicants, it'll help their selection process to see who wants it the most and for what reasons.

jrdnbenjamin said:
Why would a school care if you wanted to go there because of their location?

Schools like to believe that they do certain things best, and attract students because of their quality, reputation, or some other thing that sets them apart. Thus a candidate who wants to go to a certain med school because it is eg the mecca of ENT, is more appealing to the school than hearing that you want to go there (or any of 6 other schools) simply because it is in NY. Also some schools get inferiority complexes about their neighbors in the same city/state -- NYMC or a SUNY school might not look at a strong applicant who purports to want to go to a school in NY as NYU, Cornell and Columbia tend to get the strongest candidates who are NY oriented.

I think most or all of my interviewers have asked, prob for the reasons listed above.

okay, i dont quite get it... most schools that i've looked at really push their location as one of the reasons why you should attend. the NYC schools especially play the new york card with their 'new york is the best... diversity of patient populations, great facilities blah blah blah'. so why would they NOT want to hear that you're attracted to their school b/c of location?

i agree with rush2... i think the reason they ask is to see if you have a strong likelihood of going there. it makes the entire admissions process a whole lot easier for them; they simple want to see if you have a strong likelihood of going to their particular school. this is why people on here emphasize studying the MSAR and applying to schools that seem to fit your stats and have the same perspective as you do about medicine, etc. they know you're looking for that fit as much as they are.

when i was at nyu, i emphasized that i loved bellevue and really liked the idea of working with people from so many backgrounds. the interviewer asked me if i had only applied to urban areas for medical school, and i said that i had, mostly. in hindsight, i am not sure if this was the right answer to the question, but i didn't want to lie. after living in LA for four years, i don't think i can handle going to a smaller city.

anyway, no worries people!

i'm inclined to agree with chinorean. they're less likely to get students who fit their program well if their main draw is their location. it's true that there are factors relevant to medical education that have to do with location (outlined by rush2). i'd be careful about bringing them up, however, as a natural counter-claim would be "then why didn't you apply to (more) schools in detroit, chicago, d.c., philly, atlanta, miami, etc.?" then you'd have to confess that you heart nyc like every other applicant there, which may not be a bad thing in itself as long as you first demonstrate how their particular program fits your needs.