Why they care so much about the MCAT ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But what you've pointed out....fewer women, all science majors etc doesn't say anything about entrance to get into med school. It may mean med school won't accept variations in its population, but as long as you qualify in the racial/gender sense, it seems a sure bet.

Many people find it hard to get into med school today because the process is random and requires high GPA and the hurdle of a good MCAT score. Ok, so there's many 'off ramps', I'll grant you that since the carribean schools didn't take off until the late 70's and DOs were still heavily stigmatized, but if the MCAT was something akin to the SAT where one could study for a couple of weekends and get a score good enough to get in, that implies that the 'lower number of seats' did not affect the academic competitiveness of medical school.

If all it took to be a doctor who made a ton of money and had all this respect was to be a science major and spend a couple of weekends on the MCAT, then it seems easier to get into med school then than it is NOW. Unless it was freakin' hard to do well in your science classes back then. But I wonder....nowadays we have so many people reapplying that there's a whole industry growing around reapplicants (SMP masters, linkages, carribeans etc), and no one would ever suggest 'winging' it on the MCAT to get into med school as it is implied that some people used to do for the MCAT way back then. Hence, I have to think that unless colleges were much harder back then for the bio majors, then med school may have been less competitive decades ago.

You asked why more people didn't go into medicine back in the day. The answer, I guess hidden inside my lengthy post, is that there were fewer seats, people couldn't get there from different backgrounds, and the residency was much more of a daunting hurdle than it is today. And good stats mattered then, more than now, as the group you were competing against was much more homogeneous.

Members don't see this ad.

I think another issue which made med school less popular in the past was that there were so many other options and careers that were easier, less hours, and would give you an upper middle class lifestyle also. Going to graduate school (in the sciences or engineering) in the 70's basically assured a person of a decent paying job on the other side and a spot in the middle to upper middle class. This is no longer the case. Medical school, in my opinion, is one of the last bastions of hope for people to educate themselves into the upper middle class. This, however, is also slowly fading away.

Wasnt medicine (and thus education) for the rich also? specifically rich caucasian males....