Why wear a white coat in public?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cephalexinRX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am not a doctor or medical student. I am a Pathologist Assistant and per diem Cytotechnologist at an academic medical center. Doctors and medical students frequently wear white coats in public. Maybe sometimes it is necessary because of walking short distances, but walking home several blocks,etc?

I don't mean to be judgmental at all, but do some people just like to show off the white coat.

When I was on rotations for my Pathologist Assistant/Cytotechnologist program I was required to wear a short length white coat but always held it walking outside.

If it's easier to just wear it (for me it was uncomfortable outside) then fine. I'm just interested in some opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

all dem pockets you can put stuff in, if you take it off everything falls on ground, booooooo

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I am not a doctor or medical student. I am a Pathologist Assistant and per diem Cytotechnologist at an academic medical center. Doctors and medical students frequently wear white coats in public. Maybe sometimes it is necessary because of walking short distances, but walking home several blocks,etc?

I don't mean to be judgmental at all, but do some people just like to show off the white coat.

When I was on rotations for my Pathologist Assistant/Cytotechnologist program I was required to wear a short length white coat but always held it walking outside.

If it's easier to just wear it (for me it was uncomfortable outside) then fine.
I'm just interested in some opinions.

Majority of the times for douchiness, but there can be some legit reasons.

Warmth ? I got stuck getting home in 50 degree weather once for 2 hrs while wearing only a flimsy t shirt, gotta love San Francisco weatyer btw :laugh:, and the only thing I had with me was my white coat from the clinic.

Also people treat you differently when you have a white coat - wanna get a seat on an ultra crowded super uncomfortable public transportation ride ? Just
wear your white coat and look tired, works better than being a hot chick.
:D:smuggrin:

Depends. Some people will walk between buildings with it, which makes sense. Walking home is also one of those things that kinda makes sense, as taking it off and folding it up neatly into a bag or carrying it can be a pain. But you are right: for the most part it is unnecessary.

Depends. Some people will walk between buildings with it, which makes sense. Walking home is also one of those things that kinda makes sense, as taking it off and folding it up neatly into a bag or carrying it can be a pain. But you are right: for the most part it is unnecessary.
I'm at a suburban medical program so most physicians have a car so the walking home is out. Many physicians also carry around some sort of bag or sack or whatever, it's actually not that tough folding it and stuffing it in there or just carrying it by hand.

The thought of folding over my arm makes me weak in the knees, so much stuff to fall out :scared:. However, I agree, there is no reason to walk around with it on if you aren't going between buildings, to your car, or walking a few blocks to your apartment. This doesn't mean you stop at Dunkin Donuts or Wawa on your way home wearing it.

Hi,

If it's easier to just wear it (for me it was uncomfortable outside) then fine. I'm just interested in some opinions.

I haven't observed that phenomenon much around here. The restaurants next to the hospital are packed with white coats (for obvious reasons), but I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking around with one on outside of the hospital or immediate environs.

That said, walking home may be a different story. Lots of med students live within walking distance of our hospital, and I think it's legitimate for them to wear it to walk a couple blocks home -- provided they're not going to stop and get dinner with it on or something. I'd probably take mine off because it's 10,000 degrees, but in the winter when that's less of an issue I don't have a huge problem with it.

I'm at a suburban medical program so most physicians have a car so the walking home is out. Many physicians also carry around some sort of bag or sack or whatever, it's actually not that tough folding it and stuffing it in there or just carrying it by hand.

Yea, that's just strange. My dad is a doc in suburban private practice and I don't think I've ever seen him take his white coat out of his car -- most of the time it stays in his office, but every once in a while if he has to go back to the hospital in the late afternoon it'll hang out in his car for the day. I can't imagine anyone wearing it "out" in town -- that would be douchey.

Over or with scrubs I need it to make up for lack of pockets. But I wouldn't wear the white jacket going anywhere but to or from the hospital. It makes one look like a frumpy barber.

It's as hilarious as walking cinderblocks in Wal-Mart (Army digicams).

I will wear it crossing the street between buildings (hospital and clinic) and I usually wear it on the car ride to and from the hospital just because I don't want to deal with everything falling out of pockets- but if I go in to a non-medical location I take it off, I have gone through a drive thru with it on just because I was so tired and didn't want my hands full with food, backpack, and coat walking into my house.

I can agree with the warmth comment above (the first one). I wore my white coat to a high school football game once (my daughters are in band) because I forgot to bring another jacket and it was cold. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but it was better than freezing.

It's almost like how glasses can make certain people look smart, with a white coat you pretty much look bad ass.

I dont see the big deal with wearing the white coat while walking a few blocks. Instead of worrying about things falling out of my white while holding it (has happened multiple times before) I find it easier to just wear it. Also, if i want to stop by the local cvs store on my way home then so be it. If some people think im a douche for wearing my short white coat then thats their problem. And honestly, theres nothing special about wearing the short white coat. The novelty wears off quickly and half the time I dont even realize I have it on. The treatment I've received from the general public with the white coat on hasnt been any different.

It's about intention, like with everything else. No one likes a person who's trying to show off, but there's no need to inconvenience yourself to suit others' expectations.

I dont see the big deal with wearing the white coat while walking a few blocks. Instead of worrying about things falling out of my white while holding it (has happened multiple times before) I find it easier to just wear it. Also, if i want to stop by the local cvs store on my way home then so be it. If some people think im a douche for wearing my short white coat then thats their problem. And honestly, theres nothing special about wearing the short white coat. The novelty wears off quickly and half the time I dont even realize I have it on. The treatment I've received from the general public with the white coat on hasnt been any different.
Careful, they might think you're a pharmacy student... :smuggrin:

Thanks everyone for your response. I forgot about all that stuff med students/doctors have in their pockets. Probably easier to just wear it sometimes.