Why were they rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLeenm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
any red flags?

no to the muslim discrimination. unlikely 7 medical schools would do something so disgraceful.

Seven schools? That's a crapshoot for anyone, even an exceptional/stellar candidate. Most people apply to 15-20 and only get one or two acceptances from that list. I myself applied to more than 30.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

Last edited:
That's what I was wondering. No drinking, partying, or drugs (at least that I know of haha). I'm just confused as to why she didn't get a single interview.
1. Apply broadly, maybe 20-30 schools. Who cares about spending extra 100s, entire future is on the line. Chump change.
2. Apply to a mix of school. lower/mid/high. focus more on the tiers she's competitive in.
3. Don't underestimate medical school. Her stats are probably about average at best at most schools.
4. Continue to build resume.
5. Rock interviews, stay humble, stay confident.

P.S. do not put her exact info as ADCOMS monitor this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

This is why. End of story. 7 schools is a crapshoot for any applicant, and she should have applied to more like 20+ with her numbers and application.

It's not that you are Arab or Muslim, it's that this process is more competitive than most people imagine.

Sis here. Thanks for the reply Beezle. Like your profile pic btw. Kinda mad she put too much a bit too much info... I really hope an adcom hasn't seen this. I've edited the post but I hope no damage was done (can people see posts that have been edited?).

Thank you for the advice, I will take it all into consideration. I agree that my stats are average at best. I'm hoping to focus more on building my resume.
NP. I doubt they saw it, plus the odds of every ADCOMS being on the exact time on this forum is close to nil, and we caught it fast, so no damage was done. It's a good mentality to have by not overestimating anything, or anyone, or any school.

Your stats are competitive for, I'd say, mid tiers, but don't limit yourself if you are aiming for a higher tier school. anything is possible, but it's important to be realistic. I think most of us on this thread identified your problem - you need to apply to more schools!

Schools vary based on the region you are applying to, and I'd hit mostly mid tiers and lower tiers, throw in some high tiers. It's always best to maximize your chances.

Take this year off as a good break and build your resume. @Goro please comment on what she can do to improve her chances?

Minimal patient contact experience seems most likely.

Poorly written essay?

Red flag LOR?

Poor target list

Hey everyone,

My sister applied to medical school this year. She had a LM of 70. She had ~100 hours of hospital volunteering and shadowing. Completed ~200 hours of research, and was even included in the published research paper. She led a program that raised money for people in need. She has done tutoring. She applied to east coast schools. I mean to me her application seems great...

Maybe the fact that didn't have enough community service, or her LORs?

I know all of you are going to say it's a numbers game, but why on earth would the schools all say no? Like she didn't even get an interview for a single school! She got feedback on her essay from you guys.

She applied to mostly mid tier medical schools as well as one low and high tier. What is your advice for improving next year?

Thanks all.

Jeffery,
I am afraid.

It would help a lot to know the schools. Nothing here so far is identifying about you at all. If you were a ~3.9/31 that applied to a lot of very popular places (e.g. George Washington, Georgetown, etc) this might just be because of the very short school list

Reactions: 1 user
Schools will never tell you if you had a bad LOR.

Hi Goro, sibling here. Thanks for the reply. What I fear most is that one of the LOR had something unsavory on it. I picked people I trusted and that I believe had good character. I had long conversations with them about my future goals and career but am still unsure. I've asked for feedback from schools but none have said anything substantial so far. Would it be better to call or email in this regard? How would I know whether to stick with the LORs? They were honestly the only people I felt comfortable with writing them.

I am definitely attempting to gain more clinical experience and shadowing. I think that along with minimal community service is my issue...

I'm not sure there's anything to discuss here. You only applied to 7 schools. If I'd only applied to my 7 state schools (CA actually has 8 I think, but I don't count Loma Linda ), I'd be sitting on 0 acceptances. My 7 state schools could probably pass on my application 100 times and still have enough other qualified applicants to fill their seats every time. If you're really invested in staying in state, next year you might have to look into do schools as your better option. Even then CA ones are pretty hard to get into.

While it sounds like you've done a good job on ECs, there's nothing there that isn't "typical" and a Lizzy M of 70 is great but no higher than most other applicants. So you really were in the same boat as the rest of us who applied broadly and didn't expect anything from our really excellent state schools. It does sound like you were from either CA or NY where everyone wants to stay and few get the chance to. If you're from Texas, I might be more confused as to what happened to your application though.

Also, frankly you're being paranoid not wanting to disclose your school list and state of residence. You're not going to get the most constructive advice without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users