Why won't any place take me in for observation hours?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sceneofcrime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've called about a dozen places so far and all I get is "let me transfer you to so and so's voicemail" and they never return my calls.... This is very discouraging to me. Am I saying something wrong? Can anyone fill me in on what I should be saying when looking to get some observation hours? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I've called about a dozen places so far and all I get is "let me transfer you to so and so's voicemail" and they never return my calls.... This is very discouraging to me. Am I saying something wrong? Can anyone fill me in on what I should be saying when looking to get some observation hours? :(

I've been having a lot of trouble too

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same problem. I could not get acute inpatient hours to save my life and it took me from January until the beginning of this June to get someone to let me observe. Just keep at it and someone will let you in.

If you have any DPT programs near you, it might be worth it to call the school and ask them if they can recommend any sites and then you can drop their name. For instance: My A&P lab instructor is in the DPT program at Marymount where I am taking my pre-requisite courses. I asked her where she did her observation hours and then I called them and dropped her name and they let me come in.

Hope it works out for you!

I have been working on mine since Feb. It took a long time to set some up, others fell through (no PT- pending hire, coordinator in hospital, or vacation, etc) others are swamped for the summer w/ all of us trying to get hours, and yes, there are the ones that never, ever return your million calls and messages. I was pretty much calling every 3 days. I am on hold w/ a hospital for inpat. hrs till August because the volunteer office insisted on a regular schedule and my summer work schedule is far from regular. It is what it is...........had to get fingerprinted, drug tested, TB tested........ But having fun and learning :) Good luck.

Haha, it's somewhat comforting to know it isn't just me going through hell just to shadow. Funny thing for me is, I got in some place two years ago on a fluke. All I did was shoot the clinic's director a poorly written email with basically no information about myself and she speedily replied with a "We'd be happy to take you on!" Now I'm beggin every damn PT in a 20 mile radius to take me in!

Oh well, it's not the end of the world. I just can't believe some people on here with their 500+ hours... :rolleyes:

Hmm that is weird. I emailed 3 places and all three replied back same day asking when i want to start coming in.

Im located in chicago, il.

Good luck

I am thinking many of the really high hours are from people who have PT jobs in the field in the office or techs or aids....... or have been at it for a year or longer.

I didn't really have any issues either... But I did directly call or stop in person to the places I went. One was a family friend, so obviously that wasn't an issue, but the other two were people I didn't know. Also, the hospital I shadowed at had no qualms at all, I was able to talk to the PT director and start with no tb test, nothing... I know of other places where it is a LOT tougher to get in, so I guess I lucked out.

I didn't really have any issues either... But I did directly call or stop in person to the places I went. One was a family friend, so obviously that wasn't an issue, but the other two were people I didn't know. Also, the hospital I shadowed at had no qualms at all, I was able to talk to the PT director and start with no tb test, nothing... I know of other places where it is a LOT tougher to get in, so I guess I lucked out.

You did indeed luck out. I contacted a hospital near me around mid June and they said I had to wait until 7/11/11 to even be considered a volunteer. I need to get a medical exam, TB test, work references... the works. I spoke with the PT department back then too and they said they'd be happy to have me but that was a long time ago... jeeze I don't even know if they remembered that I called. :(

Some places to consider are non-profit/not-for-profit clinics. I contacted one at the suggestion of my father and they were very excited about the prospect of me volunteering with them and I signed on. It was a special needs child outpatient setting and I loved it and the PT's were exceptional. I don't know if that's available to the OP in his/her area but it's worth looking into.

You did indeed luck out. I contacted a hospital near me around mid June and they said I had to wait until 7/11/11 to even be considered a volunteer. I need to get a medical exam, TB test, work references... the works. I spoke with the PT department back then too and they said they'd be happy to have me but that was a long time ago... jeeze I don't even know if they remembered that I called. :(

Wow, that is just crazy!! You know, I'm wondering if I got in the "back way" because I had talked to the PT Director of the out-patient services at the hospital... Then, when I started I asked if there would be any way for me to get some in-patient hours and the OP PT Director set me up with in-patient and just took me over a few mornings and was like, "Hey, someone let her follow you around!" Haha. It ended up being the worst experience out of all my shadowing, though... but I am still interested in seeing what in-patient is really like elsewhere.

I didn't have much trouble either, but I know that wasn't the case with others I spoke with while observing. I started by observing in hippotherapy at a facility where I already volunteered to lead and work with the horses. That physical therapist made suggestions and gave me people to contact at a few facilities when I asked her. Otherwise, I was restricted by my hours (I was working full time and going to school) so I could only contact the offices open on weekends. A little persistance was required, but they were really nice about it. Best of luck!

When I applied to volunteer at a local hospital, I had to get two letters of recommendation, and give them all the addresses where I've lived for the last 10 years. Six weeks after I sent them my application, they called and told me I would have to volunteer in their gift shop for 50 hours before I could be "eligible" to transfer to the PT Dept!

I applied to volunteer at a few other hospitals, too, and ran into similar types of barriers. I live in a crowded urban area, so these hospitals probably get a lot of people wanting observation hours. Getting outpatient observation hours doesn't seem to be a problem, but it sure is a challenge getting those acute inpatient hours that we all need!