Why would a patient need to dispose of monthly soft contacts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcousticDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that contacts should be replaced because of the protein build up and etc that can lead to infection....but what if a person just cleans their soft contacts? Couldn't a patient extend their contact uses to 2 or 3 months and save money? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

AcousticDoc said:
I know that contacts should be replaced because of the protein build up and etc that can lead to infection....but what if a person just cleans their soft contacts? Couldn't a patient extend their contact uses to 2 or 3 months and save money? :confused:

Overtime, protein and mucus and snot from your eye builds up in the material of the lens. It doesn't really matter how well you clean them. Eventually they just get gross. Sort of like the kitchen sponge.

If you are diligent about cleaning them, you can probably extend them a little bit but you should discuss this with your doctor.

You should never ever wear a lens "until it feels bad." By the time your eye "feels bad" it's sick.

Jenny

The sponge analogy is a very good one. With all the nutrients and crap in your eye, the lens will absorb a good amount of it. That little gel contact with all that nice nutrient crap makes a really nice nutrient agar.

Just imagine sticking your eye into a nice 72 hour old blood agar plate full of staph. epi. Yum!

But...if you take care of them, you can push the life of a CL. Just remember, "No Rub" solutions do not mean you can just put the lens in the case with FRESH solution. You either have to spray the lens for a several seconds on both sides (going through half your bottle), or put 3 drops on it and rub the old way.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah.. I liken trying to extend contact lens life to either jenny's sponge analogy (which I like) or if I'm REALLY trying to get someone who abuses their contacts to stop: I tell them it's like wearing the same pair of undies over and over.. no matter how much you clean 'em eventually they're just nasty!!

cpw said:
I tell them it's like wearing the same pair of undies over and over.. no matter how much you clean 'em eventually they're just nasty!!
Clean freak.

rpames,

The trouble with recommending to patients that you can extend the life of a soft contact lens is, where does it stop? Is it OK to wear a two week lens for four weeks? Six? Two months? Till it feels bad? And how many patients understand what "really taking care of them" means? It's a slippery slope, and one I don't recommend anyone goes down.

I like the sponge analogy. I also like the seatbelt analogy. Most patients overwear from time to time, and most of them never have a problem, so they don't understand why you recommend changing more often. So I tell them it's like not wearing your seatbelt. You could go for years without getting into an accident and be fine. But is it worth the risk?

Tom Stickel
Indiana U. 2001

i love how u use the word "crap" i use that all the time when i was in college studying. Especially ochem, where i teach people by saying you move this crap over to get this crap. LOL