WHy would any Male in their right mind, go into OB/GYN??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kg062007

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just too look at and smell vaginas all day? Plus you can't even do a routine pelvic without a female nurse in the room? DO women really think that much of the hole between their legs that even after you have seen 40000 of those stinky things, you still need a nurse in the room to make sure you are not lusting after a diseased vagina???

Members don't see this ad.

Just too look at and smell vaginas all day? Plus you can't even do a routine pelvic without a female nurse in the room? DO women really think that much of the hole between their legs that even after you have seen 40000 of those stinky things, you still need a nurse in the room to make sure you are not lusting after a diseased vagina???

somebody got broken up with on valentines day

So they can do a Reproductive Endocrinology fellowship afterward.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's still better than "looking at" and "smelling" male genitalia all day.

This thread reminds me of a young rapper by the name of Alpa Chino

I agree with some of your post. Beware my friend you are going to be inundated with tons of male OBs who claim that their female patients like them better than their female colleagues.

But lets be real here. You are at a competitive disadvantage as a male OB/GYN. Yes, there are some older women who dont give a damn because they are used to having only male OB/GYNs available. But for the younger generations, I'd guess at least 70% express a preference of having a female OB/GYN. Some OB/GYN practices SPECIFICALLY state they are looking for a "female" partner to join their group and advertise themselves as "all female" doctors.

Not saying it cant be done, but the deck is stacked against men.

Why: most likely either specialties such as infertility or high-risk OB.

I don't know many guys that are interested in GYN, but delivering babies is not the same thing.

If I could separate them (and not deal with the never-ending residencies) I'd consider OB. But I have no desire to do routine pap's the rest of my life.

A former instructor once said that men make better OB/GYNs than women. because men idolize the vagina...they make sure nothing bad happens to it

what a silly rule. I didn't know that...

In that case females urologists ( all 1.8% of them!) should require a male nurse in the room during any type of exam.

Unkept vag's are a disaster, I def see where you coming from.

Last edited:

Pregnancy-specific problems (pre-eclampsia, eclampsia, HELLP syndrome, etc), while serious, resolve after pregnancy. You get to deliver babies, which is not "beautiful" since my definition of beautiful excludes seeing a woman defecate on herself while squeezing out a slippery creature, is still great in its own way. Has some surgery, but without the usual higher-than-normal ratio of malignant ***holes to decent people. Many of your patients will be happy to see you. Some serious continuity of care for those who want it.

I say this as someone who would never try to match into OB/gyn. Rotating through it just made me understand why people do.

Last edited by a moderator:

The male gynecologist I shadowed often didn't have anyone in the room with him except the patient and me. Are you sure this is a rule everywhere? Or maybe just in some practices?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has some surgery, but without the usual higher-than-normal ratio of malignant ***holes to decent people.
Oof, I'm not so sure about that. The residents here are pretty cool as a whole, but OB residents and faculty don't have a rep for being awful people for no reason. Other than that, I agree with what you said. It just happens that none of those benefits are actually benefits, in my opinion. There's also the smells. Oh God, the smells. Whoever said it's not as bad as smelling guys' junk is in for an extremely rude awakening. In short, I don't really know why anyone would go into OB/gyn, let alone someone who needs a chaperone through his whole career. I'm glad it appeals to some people, but I can't for the life of me understand why.

OB is a lot more than just pap smears and STDs. One of the most complex areas in the body and definitely one of the more complicated surgical fields to work in. GYN/ONC is quite the impressive field.

Oof, I'm not so sure about that. The residents here are pretty cool as a whole, but OB residents and faculty don't have a rep for being awful people for no reason. Other than that, I agree with what you said. It just happens that none of those benefits are actually benefits, in my opinion. There's also the smells. Oh God, the smells. Whoever said it's not as bad as smelling guys' junk is in for an extremely rude awakening. In short, I don't really know why anyone would go into OB/gyn, let alone someone who needs a chaperone through his whole career. I'm glad it appeals to some people, but I can't for the life of me understand why.

:laugh: yeah, I understand it, but *I* won't be doing it for some of those same reasons.

Maybe I've had a uniquely skewed experience. I've met some real jerks in OB/gyn, but I still feel like it fared better than general surgery.

A pediatrician I shadowed warned me about OB ... something about working at all hours of the night. I (male) am personally very interested in the field, but I don't think I would feel comfortable shadowing an OB/GYN as a pre-med.

Not just male OB/GYN's. I shadowed in an ER and the female OB/GYN resident asked me to come because she was required to have someone with her during the pelvic exam (and I was just a pre-med at the time). I don't think it has to be a nurse. Any OB/GYN physician (male or female) might be required to have a 2nd person there for insurance/malpractice reasons (so there's a witness in case the patient tries to claim sexual assault).

Why? Clearly it's to practice their love with women.

Why: most likely either specialties such as infertility or high-risk OB.

I don't know many guys that are interested in GYN, but delivering babies is not the same thing.

If I could separate them (and not deal with the never-ending residencies) I'd consider OB. But I have no desire to do routine pap's the rest of my life.

Nailed it.

OB is awesome. Just not awesome enough to make it worth dealing with Gyn.

I would very seriously consider high risk OB if I had more interest in things like chlamydia.

I never thought I would like OB at all, but I actually really ended up liking it more than I thought.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_6CQ5R558[/YOUTUBE]

Eh, I hear ya. chlamydia is for dullards.
Now, you want electrifying: Warts are where the thrills be at.

Just google image search "female genital warts"... a mix of Picasso's abstract, with a sprinkle of Pollock's chaos, and a dash of Bosch's wtf.

One year my high school brought in this bizarre group of sex educators and groups of students were split up and moved around from room to room all day...in one room they talked about contraceptives and abstinence, one room they talked about what constitutes rape, and then one room...BAM!!!

A slide show of genital warts. I saw enough that day to keep me away from Gyn and Google Images for the rest of my life.

Never was that interested in Pollock or Bosch either, now that you mention it.

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4[/YOUTUBE]

Ken Jeong being a Korean guy acting like a black guy has gotten annoying.

He really needs to freshen up his act.

One year my high school brought in this bizarre group of sex educators and groups of students were split up and moved around from room to room all day...in one room they talked about contraceptives and abstinence, one room they talked about what constitutes rape, and then one room...BAM!!!

A slide show of genital warts. I saw enough that day to keep me away from Gyn and Google Images for the rest of my life.

Never was that interested in Pollock or Bosch either, now that you mention it.

I had a similar traumatizing slide show experience in middle school (6th grade I think). I remember one by one 6 or 7 kids got up and went to the bathroom.:laugh:

I had a similar traumatizing slide show experience in middle school (6th grade I think). I remember one by one 6 or 7 kids got up and went to the bathroom.:laugh:

Seventh grade for me, 'twas a slideshow in the auditorium. Not cool at all.

Oh... and I was just wondering, with the smell thing others have mentioned, is scent one of the tools that the OB/GYN docs use? Medical schools' technical standards usually include something about "the functional use of the sense of smell." xx

Last edited:
Seventh grade for me, 'twas a slideshow in the auditorium. Not cool at all.

Oh... and I was just wondering, with the smell thing others have mentioned, is scent one of the tools that the OB/GYN docs use? Medical schools' technical standards usually include something about "the functional use of the sense of smell." I just don't know if I could do that without gagging... I mean, even in pristine condition, we're talking about something that is kind of gross. It's like washing and waxing an old car...it helps, but not that much.

You gotta determine if it's the fish market smell versus the 30 day old catfood smell. It's tricky.

Eh, I hear ya. chlamydia is for dullards.
Now, you want electrifying: Warts are where the thrills be at.

Just google image search "female genital warts"... a mix of Picasso's abstract, with a sprinkle of Pollock's chaos, and a dash of Bosch's wtf.

OMG! :laugh:

I plan on using that photo to scare my daughter away from sex when she gets old enough.

I think it's still better than "looking at" and "smelling" male genitalia all day.

Ok. One more on the "debatable" train.

Also, one reason that a male might go into Ob/gyn is that the field is currently saturated with females. There are, believe it or not, women who prefer to be treated by male gynecologists, though I can't speak to how rare they are.

All kidding aside, I wouldn't want to be a gynecologist because if somebody describes something to me as "it feels like cramps, but bigger" I might have all kinds of training but that's still a little difficult for me to relate to and that bothers me. :shrug:

I might not be able to relate to an aortic dissection, either, but you know what I mean.

If I could separate them (and not deal with the never-ending residencies) I'd consider OB.

Honestly, Family Med with a good OB concentration might work for someone that's interested in OB w/o a lot of GYN....though I doubt you can escape it completely in FM.

How the hell does a male ob/gyn still feel attracted to females? Seeing and having to smell the stench of a diseased vagina.... every damn single day on and on.

Having had a couple experiences with horrible smelling ones (rotten tuna type), I remember I couldn't even fap for a solid week afterwards.... yes these docs day in/day out get things that are even worse.

I agree with some of your post. Beware my friend you are going to be inundated with tons of male OBs who claim that their female patients like them better than their female colleagues.

But lets be real here. You are at a competitive disadvantage as a male OB/GYN. Yes, there are some older women who dont give a damn because they are used to having only male OB/GYNs available. But for the younger generations, I'd guess at least 70% express a preference of having a female OB/GYN. Some OB/GYN practices SPECIFICALLY state they are looking for a "female" partner to join their group and advertise themselves as "all female" doctors.

Not true for attractive male ob/gyn's.

Ken Jeong being a Korean guy acting like a black guy has gotten annoying.

He really needs to freshen up his act.
The guy got an MD from Duke or something but decided to waste his education.

There's no "whiff test" in urology. Just saying.

The male gynecologist I shadowed often didn't have anyone in the room with him except the patient and me. Are you sure this is a rule everywhere? Or maybe just in some practices?
It's definitely not a law. It's just good practice to limit your potential claims of sexual harassment. Besides, since you need someone to hand you the swabs and speculum. You'd probably have someone else in the room, so it might as well be a woman.

The literature has documented that while patients prefer females for general OB/GYN work (i.e., general check-ups), they prefer male physicians when more technical procedures are being done.

Why do you entertain females in intimate engagements when they are actively
harboring "rotten-tuna-type: positive" vaginas?

Surely that is something that one can, even with the most deviated of septums, recognize before removing the bottom layers. :prof:

Never would I have guessed an 8.5 clean looking girl would have had such a rotten smell.