WHy would any Male in their right mind, go into OB/GYN??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would actually prefer a female for prostate exams. :thumbup:;)

Members don't see this ad.

That's interesting. I am a female and when I was shadowing a fam doc all the ladies would let me sit in for their embarrassing lady parts problems, old men didn't mind me there watching their prostates get checked and young men my age would see me and immediately blush and ask the doctor for me to leave the room. Basically, I didn't get to talk to men unless they were old or small children. Even men in their 30s would see me and blush and ask "she's not gonna stay here, is she?".

:laugh: This has been my experience with shadwoing fam med too (though I'm a guy so it was the younger women asking me to leave.) It always amazes me how the younger patients get embarrased, but the older ones have no problem just dropping trou with little to no warning.

:laugh: This has been my experience with shadwoing fam med too (though I'm a guy so it was the younger women asking me to leave.) It always amazes me how the younger patients get embarrased, but the older ones have no problem just dropping trou with little to no warning.

You're a pre-med.... You have no official function. The younger patients feel awkward because they are closer to your age. Honestly, I'd be kind of surprised if that doesn't make you feel awkward being as you're nothing but an observer. When working in the ED, I've had female patients around my age drop their pants for an exam when I did not want them to because that's apparently what they felt was appropriate. (I'm not dressed like a physician when I'm at work; just in scrubs like any other tech...)

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a pre-med.... You have no official function. The younger patients feel awkward because they are closer to your age. Honestly, I'd be kind of surprised if that doesn't make you feel awkward being as you're nothing but an observer. When working in the ED, I've had female patients around my age drop their pants for an exam when I did not want them to because that's apparently what they felt was appropriate. (I'm not dressed like a physician when I'm at work; just in scrubs like any other tech...)

I'm well aware that I "serve no function" and I never said it wasn't awkward for me too. I was more making a joke about how people seem to get less embarrased by these situations as they get older. Also, your post seems a bit condescending for no real reason.:confused: If I misinterpreted, then I apologize.

I am aware I serve no function when I am there, they are there to see the doc, not me. However, when I shadowed I wasn't really making judgments about how attractive/unattractive a patient was I was purely interested in watching the procedure, grateful to see different things going on, and appreciative of how wonderfully different we all are. Being an inexperienced pre-med, I was just surprised people felt embarrassed by my presence. It was an awesome experience to see how intimate docs are with their patients!!!

I didn't feel awkward seeing people naked. People are people, I have whatever they have maybe with a few exceptions. The last thing I am thinking about when I see people at a clinical setting is whether their body is nice or not, I am interested in learning.

On a lighter note, it's funny to look at the posts from 3 months ago and see how many people have gotten banned. Based on the content of the posts, seems fitting.

This is why I always made it a point to say yes to medical students--how else are students going to get enough experience? I'm pretty sure one of them regretted it after I talked her ear off to distract me from my contractions. She did get to help with the delivery though.

We need more people like you.

I mean really, a guy looking at your private parts doesn't mean he's gonna rape you or anything. Besides, what if these girls go to doctors/hospitals where there are ONLY males on duty :confused:

We need more people like you.

I mean really, a guy looking at your private parts doesn't mean he's gonna rape you or anything. Besides, what if these girls go to doctors/hospitals where there are ONLY males on duty :confused:
Tocolytics, I guess.

I say this in jest, because if I had a problem with my nether regions I wouldn't want any students in the room either.

do you fear the v?

that would be a bit awkward. Are you a scribe or in registration?

do you fear the v?

that would be a bit awkward. Are you a scribe or in registration?

I'm an ED Tech. I have worked in all of those positions.

And no, I do not fear the "V"... (WTF...who calls it that?!). Nevertheless, I am generally not doing vaginal exams as a tech... (esp. as a male tech). In triage, I have had female pts come in with a vaginal issue (bleeding, various objects stuck "up there"/"inside me", etc.) and when asked our triage questions actually try to take things off and show me. Talk about an awkward moment if the triage RN were to walk in at that moment! :laugh:

What about the greatest OB/GYN of all time?!? Dr huxtable!!

Or Dr. Paul....

Disclaimer: I didn't read this thread, I just wanted to post that here...

The last frame:

awkward.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people got banned posting in this thread,i see a lot of crossed out names lol

What this thread reeks of is immaturity and a lack of experience in viewing naked people of the opposite sex (or the sex you are attracted to). A twisted part of me hopes those who posted the most insane stuff on here are transparent during their medical school and residency interviews and get rejected so they can spend a year getting real patient care experience.

There ain't nothing sexual about seeing the human body in a health care setting. I don't see a "hot" same-age person if he's hocking up bloody phlegm and hasn't bathed in three days and I'm trying to draw blood on him when he's coughing. I see naked lady and male parts every day in my nursing support job. I clean them, I serve as a chaperone for physicians and surgeons doing exams, I change dressings and apply creams etc. etc. Yes, it weirded me out ... the first few weeks. I got over it fast. You will, too.

As for any hoo-ha smells that freak you out, wait 'til you get a whiff of c diff.

What this thread reeks of is immaturity and a lack of experience in viewing naked people of the opposite sex (or the sex you are attracted to). A twisted part of me hopes those who posted the most insane stuff on here are transparent during their medical school and residency interviews and get rejected so they can spend a year getting real patient care experience.

There ain't nothing sexual about seeing the human body in a health care setting. I don't see a "hot" same-age person if he's hocking up bloody phlegm and hasn't bathed in three days and I'm trying to draw blood on him when he's coughing. I see naked lady and male parts every day in my nursing support job. I clean them, I serve as a chaperone for physicians and surgeons doing exams, I change dressings and apply creams etc. etc. Yes, it weirded me out ... the first few weeks. I got over it fast. You will, too.

As for any hoo-ha smells that freak you out, wait 'til you get a whiff of c diff.

There's also nothing inherently sexual about people working at a desk, shopping, jogging with less clothes on as a mechanism for allowing sweat to evaporate, etc...yet I'm sure sexual thoughts occur all the time even in these situations. I'd argue that a lot of people sexualize even the most mundane activities. Also, like was mentioned in a previous post in this thread, the majority of the patients an ob/gyn will seen on any given day will be routine checkups, so their won't be a medical crisis to distract them from the vagina in front of them.

I read the entire thread and I wonder why there is so much GYN bashing on the first page. GYN's are surgeons too, right? So I guess it depends on how your practice is set up, but I am definitely sure that there is a lot more to GYN than doing check ups, and dealing with the diagnosis of STI's. I presume if you also run a surgical practice you open up a door to a bunch of cool things, such as hysterectomies, oophorectomies, endometrial ablation, labiaplasty (dunno if plastic surgeons do this or GYN's, but I am certain it pays well), uterine myomectomies, etc.... you get the point. I haven't been physically (or conceptually) exposed to a lot of things yet, but GYN definitely looks interesting. Female endocrinology also looks really interesting.

So can someone please explain why GYN is so "boring"? I assume if you were at a free clinic near a low-income area, you would mostly do pelvic examinations, and more often than not, there would be a large amount of STI diagnosing going on.. but I am sure there is a lot more to the field than just that.

Gyns do surgery, yes. How your group structures your inpatient/outpatient time will vary. You aren't doing paps all day, every day.

Hence my question man - I'm not a gynecologist, but it is evident that there is way too much hate going around (unfortunately, from the predominantly male population) for the field.

Hence my question man - I'm not a gynecologist, but it is evident that there is way too much hate going around (unfortunately, from the predominantly male population) for the field.

1. OB/GYNs have a reputation as mediocre surgeons (not my opinion, but it's out there)
2. A lot of the field is primary care, which is low prestige
3. It's a female-heavy field, and a lot of male med students have a difficult time during their clerkships dealing with mostly female residents & attendings
4. People look at it as a "chick field"

1. OB/GYNs have a reputation as mediocre surgeons (not my opinion, but it's out there)
3. It's a female-heavy field, and a lot of male med students have a difficult time during their clerkships dealing with mostly female residents & attendings

Thanks! A lot of the hate was geared toward the medicine of the field, is that hype too? Gyn covers much more than pap smears....

EDIT: I didn't know that they have a rep as mediocre surgeons btw.

OB/GYN is a nice mix. You get to do primary care and it can be a continuity field as a good chunk of women often go to their GYN but not a PCP. You can do procedures (obviously). Nothing quite like helping birth a baby either.

The training surrounding OB/GYN is stereotyped and to a point I've found it to be true. Its a rough arena.

Item #3 is the big turn-off. I've wound up in a few female dominated situations in the past, and they were awful. Women are so mean to each other, and then you get caught in the cross-fire. If there was a male dominated ob/gyn residency somewhere, the field would be more attractive.

1. Ob/gyns have a reputation as mediocre surgeons (not my opinion, but it's out there)

+1.