Why would someone apply for a license AND a limited permit in NY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennis1980

Reaction score
I’m applying for a New York State license and I saw this option to apply for a limited permit and a regular license. Why would someone apply for the for a limited permit if they’re qualified for a full license?

Members don't see this ad.

The only time I've seen this done in the past was for timing. The limited license is usually very fast. The full license can take some time. Especially if you don't qualify for it until you complete 3 years of training. So someone who is starting a fellowship might want a full license (for moonlighting) but would get a limited license to start, since the full license might not happen for 3-6 months after they finish residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m applying for a New York State license and I saw this option to apply for a limited permit and a regular license. Why would someone apply for the for a limited permit if they’re qualified for a full license?

If they're starting residency but they have done 3 years of residency somewhere else, they may apply for the limited permit to get started with resifency and the regular license to get the ball rolling for any moonlighting opportunities.

In New York, you can get your full license after completion of 3 years of residency. Note that board certification is entirely separate and what really matters to practice the form of medicine most of us envision practicing at the end of the day.

Source: