Why you were accepted...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pembleton

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to find out from the admissions committee of the school you're attending why you were accepted?

Maybe it is best not to know.

But have any of you currently in medical school been able to find out? And would you want to know?

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Not something you'll ever know. But if you serve on an admissions committee when you're a student I bet you'd get a good idea of what they're looking for. If thats a possibility at the school choose you should do it since you're curious about it. Good luck

i often wonder how in the hell those admissions people decided i was good enough to be able to practice medicine. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
lattimer13 said:
i often wonder how in the hell those admissions people decided i was good enough to be able to practice medicine. :confused:

Ha ha. Maybe it's because like the rest of us you were bull$hitting for olympic gold on interview day. ;)

Fishing for an ego inflation much???? You'll have better luck asking your own mother why you're such a special guy/gal

I'm a terrible bullsh****r but my bank account picked up the slack for me - sadly post-medical school my bank account is a little too slim to do the same for my residency interviews... :(

I hear some schools allow people to read their admissions folder or ask the dean straightup why they were accepted. Sometimes its better not to know and just figure that you were the lucky bastard that somehow slipped through :D.

Pembleton said:
Is it possible to find out from the admissions committee of the school you're attending why you were accepted?

But have any of you currently in medical school been able to find out? And would you want to know?

Just curious.

Because I'm dead sexy!!

The begging helped

I let my good friend benjamin franklin do all the talking.

I know why I was accepted, but that's because there was only one change on my application from the previous year.

I went to a school where I wasn't accepted and asked why I wasn't but I've never asked my school why I was. Doesn't really matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
BLZCO said:

Don't knock sympathy (or its ugly brother, pity). It's what got me my first job out of college.
:)

I'm pretty sure I was accepted because of my answer to the interviewer's "what will you do if you arent accepted" question... I said "25 yrs without possibility of parole for med school arson!"

I've been thinking about this since I started med school and I made a few interesting observations. My acceptances all came on what I had believed were my worst interviews. I received an acceptance to Downstate, which was my very first interview. I was nervous and had no interview experience and I thought I had come off as a fool during the interview, but it apparently worked for me. Another interview I had was at Wake Forest, where I was riding high off of what I believed was a kick ass interview at UVA I had the day before and I though afterwards that perhaps I didn't take the interview as seriously as I should have. Interestingly enough, I ended up getting rejected at UVA and getting accepted at Wake. Then for the school I'm at now, I was sick as a dog on the day of the interview. I had a massive headache, cough, runny nose, and was slightly dizzy. I went through with the interview and was accepted. I think it might have been since because I was so sick, I wasn't able to put up my usual prim and proper interview facade and maybe I came off more genuine or something like that. It's very interesting thinking back to application hell, and how things ended up turning out.

will be running into several buildings with the same last name as me.

Rogue_Leader said:
I've been thinking about this since I started med school and I made a few interesting observations. My acceptances all came on what I had believed were my worst interviews. I received an acceptance to Downstate, which was my very first interview. I was nervous and had no interview experience and I thought I had come off as a fool during the interview, but it apparently worked for me. Another interview I had was at Wake Forest, where I was riding high off of what I believed was a kick ass interview at UVA I had the day before and I though afterwards that perhaps I didn't take the interview as seriously as I should have. Interestingly enough, I ended up getting rejected at UVA and getting accepted at Wake. Then for the school I'm at now, I was sick as a dog on the day of the interview. I had a massive headache, cough, runny nose, and was slightly dizzy. I went through with the interview and was accepted. I think it might have been since because I was so sick, I wasn't able to put up my usual prim and proper interview facade and maybe I came off more genuine or something like that. It's very interesting thinking back to application hell, and how things ended up turning out.

You have given me invaluable advice for any interview I might have: play the sick fool. :)

Maybe what got you in the door was the interviewer seeing you handle adversity...

From what I've heard at some of the Texas medical schools, the worse you think your interview went, the more likely you are to be accepted to that school. (This concerns me b/c I don't have any interview horror stories so maybe no = acceptance :scared: ???)

I always assumed I got in because of a clerical error. Somewhere out there, there is a person with a SSN one digit off from mine, regretting the career they could have had.

tugbug said:
I'm pretty sure I was accepted because of my answer to the interviewer's "what will you do if you arent accepted" question... I said "25 yrs without possibility of parole for med school arson!"

That's probably the funniest answer to that question I've ever heard!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Because I was a great actor and told them all the right answers. Because you all know that if you don't say what they expect to hear, you will be DENIED.

Try telling the admission committee that you went into medicine because of the TITLE of MD or the SALARY or the CARS or the GODDIES that the money could buy.

There are plenty of other occupations like podiatry etc where you get to help people etc blahblahblahblah, yet non of you would touch it with a ten foot pole.

Many mds wouldn't tough a poor patient. They despise when the homeless come in with injuries and disease. It is a fight to see who takes the patient. So much for helping someone!

Too bad the medical schools don't have more people like me to help spot your type. Some of you are so obvious, others are more clever and some are really good. But eventually, it becomes evident. It's sad to see.

The medical community is full of double talkers and it starts with the student.

"I did it because my mom is an md and my dad is Dr. so and so and he is the greatest md ever. He did this and that and no one can compare."

"Thank-you very much, we'll let you know our decision by mail."
Vomit

tough a poor patient

"touch"

I think the general thought was...hey we got to have one chronic illness case in each class so that everyone will see how wonderful we are to not discriminate based on medical issues...wow, here's one with cancer!!! Will she do? Yea, why not. ****STAMP SOUND**** Accepted!

Pembleton said:

Just curious.

I know exactly why, my interview. I spoke to the admissions dean at orientation about why I was selected (I thought I had a snowball's chance in you know where of getting in because I was an out of stater and I didn't have any ties to WV, I was just a slightly above average applicant, and the school takes 75% in staters). He said, "That's what happens when you give a good interview."

Honestly, I had applied to other schools in my home state where I wanted to get in at and really didn't stress the interview at this school. I was laid back and acted like myself (however oxymoronical that sounds). Apparently I must have a personality somewhere deep down inside.

The rumor is that our class is pretty because the school needs to put out some new catalogs with pretty faces.

I'm gonna go with I am a gorgeous man. ;)

tugbug said:

Are you serious?! Did you really say that?!! :laugh: :laugh:

I actually got into school the day after I had a follow-up interview with the dean of admissions.

I had been rejected the year before from all 15 schools I applied to. This year (2001) I only applied to 1 school. After my interview I felt everything was going well until I found out I was waitlisted. I called up the school and asked if I could talk to someone in admissions about my application, they made me an appointment with the dean of admissions. The day of my appointment I went to the office and waited..and waited...and waited. A half hour after my appointment the dean came out and called someone else into the room. I asked the secretary what was going on? Turns out they though I was someone else and that I hadn't showed up for the interview. Instead of being angry I was very calm and accepting. I had a brief meeting with the dean, I had brought in another letter of recommendation and the dean (a man who was later dismissed...amid rumors of sexual harassment) personally looked over my application. He liked that I wrote an essay about his favorite book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence". Two days later I got an acceptance letter in the mail. Funny thing is that I later talked to several of my classmates who also had gotten accepted 2 days after a second interview. Seems like so long ago...wonder what kind of crazy match story I will have this year.