1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Why?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jackets5, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I posted over on the pre-DO board asking about 5 specfic schools. i have a bad feeling that im not getting in this year so already thinking ahead. I admitted that i knew very little about DO until recently and just started reseaching it. Someone asked why dont i just apply right now to DO school. I said very nicely that while i dont care about MD or DO, others do and since i have no intrest in primary care would rather go MD if possible. Right after this the thread gets locked, when all i wanted was some specfic info about a few schools. Think there is a little inferiority complex going on over there?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger
    7+ Year Member

i went over there to read your posts...and i must say, not a great reason to close a thread.

it sounded to me like you were looking for info, and although you did say you'd rather do md than DO, you didn't seem that you were about to bash DO...which i think the mod thought you were going to do...i don't think it was fair to lock it until you actually did bash DO

it is true i guess that they have other threads about that topic, but you were looking for specific schools, and we repeat theards many times...i've never seen a problem w/ it

i'd personally be quite embarrassed for acting like that if i had locked that thread....i don't think that was fair as you were looking for info...i wish i could help, but i don't know anything about DO as i am also going only md if possible....g/l

4. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Next time, when someone asks why you don't apply now just say you can't get a DO LOR - I'm pretty sure DO schools require one.
    I'd bet it's true, too. But more importantly, it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings/offend anyone.
    You need to learn how to lie.

5. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I did say that i thought they all required one or strongly recomended one. i dont have a DO letter. There is no reason to lie over something like that, people are way to sensitive and need to either grow a set of you know what or grow up.

6. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Well, then, I rescind what I said and instead offer this piece of wisdom: wtf?
    Oh, and let's not call it lying, where'd you get that awful word? Let's call it tact. Lawyers need it, politicians need it, insurance salespeople need it, and so do doctors.
    Yeah, I agree, having balls is nice.

7. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    Actually, you wrote this:

In that statement, you stated you don't wish to go to DO school because of a "stigma" or "issues" that others have. You also stated that you'd rather be an MD for "practical reasons" and that it would "make things easier."

The only "stigma" is among premeds, and your statements could easily be taken as offensive and inflammatory.

8. Scrub MD

Scrub MD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone with with an avatar of themself in their white coat and stethoscope probably needs to boost their own self-esteem by shutting down a pre-med thread asking about DO schools.

9. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lol

10. I think you need to grow up. I've been reading that thread over at the DO board. As well as the second thread you started with complaints about the first threat closed on their board. This is your third. If you would go back and re-read what you said, you will see why you were not well received or offered a lot of assistance.

If you are truly interested in MD over DO for practical reasons, than go for it. If you can't get in, then try try again. If DO has peaked your interest, you can research and ask your friend's father about his work as a DO. If you want to learn more or you can check out the aacom or student do websites. Asking for help on a DO board, then stating that it is ignorant of the DO-pursuers to not know of "a stigma" is just rude and inviting trouble.

Just because the US News puts out a college ranking every year, by no means does it mean that it is accurate, nor does it mean that anything could be simply summarized and ranked on a list deemed "definitive" by its author. Research for yourself, every school whether allopathic or osteopathic has very positive and negative aspects. Just depends which fits you better. Good luck.

11. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    :thumbup:

12. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well said.

13. Nate

Nate Missing
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The thread is re-opened for as long as it doesn't degenerate into a flame war.

I decided to have my picture as my avatar and use my real name on these forums years ago because I take responsibility for the words that I say. I have never bashed anyone and I think very hard before I give advise. I recently changed my avatar to a picture from the white coat ceremony because it was a proud moment and I was urged to.

Take care and good luck in your endeavors.

14. C.P. Jones

C.P. Jones Catface Majigger
    7+ Year Member

I personally don't see why people are getting angry at the OP, yes, he does seem to degrade DO a little by saying he doesn't want to do it, however, i think it's clear that he just wants info, and it only makes it worse when ppl respond with anger. (not you nate, but others who posted in that way)

but i'm quoting/responding to you to thank you for re-opening the thread in the event that it doesn't turn into a flame war (which i don't think it will if others only help and don't respond even if they feel instigated to do so); and if it does turn into anything, i apologize as i hope ppl would sometimes keep their thoughts to themselves...and thanks for saying why your avatar is as it is since i was also wondering....nice explanation :thumbup:

to jacket: think before you talk....it's like being the only red sox fan at yankee stadium, or vice versa.....hmmm....i like this analogy, i'm going to use it more often....in fact, in every new thread i respond to (not really :) )

15. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i never meant to degrade DO's at all. People were just asking why i dont apply right now. I said the thing about the DO letter, they told me i didnt need one. Someone asked again and what i said is that if i it came down to it MD or DO i would choose MD. I find it now way demeaning or degrading towards DO as i stated i would have no problem with a DO behind my name. The reality however is 90% of people would choose MD over DO, it is a little easier to get competitive specilities as an MD, i have no desire at all to be a primary care physician and there still is a slight stigma towards DO's right now. I dont think there is anything mean spirited or degrading about saying that, it is the truth. If people cant deal with the truth then its there problem. Sorry, if i offended anyone but i really didnt mean to. just wanted info on AZCOM, NOVA, CCOM, Western U and LECOM-bradenton.

16. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    Not only are your statements false, but you are now officially a troll.

:thumbdown:

17. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Which statements are false. Are you saying ~90% of people wouldnt choose MD over DO, there isnt a slight public and in the medical field stigma towards DO's and it isnt slightly easier to get competitive specilites as an MD, arent DO schools more primary care oriented. You are being so oversensitive its unreal.

18. banana k

banana k registered user of WHAT?
    5+ Year Member

i preface this statement by stipulating: i have no experience and no stake, so take this opinion at very low worth, but here it is...

everyone has an inferiority complex, both md's and do's. it's human nature. and in all honesty i couldn't give two small sh*ts over who was treating me or any of my relatives as long as they were competent and knowledgeable, and i have faith that all md and do schools in business are rigorous enough in admission and standards that their graduates will be so competent. ergo, if the ends justify the means, the schools are equal. if there is any stigma, it's OUR FAULT as gunner/pre-med/type A/anal retentive students who aren't in the real world enough for having the arrogance to look down on someone who might not have been the top of the top of the top. it's the same arrogance that leads people on this forum to need to rank harvard over drexel--why the need to push someone else down to be the SDN valedictorian?

the point of that incoherent rant is--jacket5, thank you for trying to say that you don't ENDORSE a stigma, but if a person truly believes there shouldn't be one, they should dropout any perception of its existence from their thoughts. kind of like erasing derogatory words from your vocabulary if you claim not to be a racist. the buck might as well start here, since we're the next generation of medical practitioners who should work together and stop looking down our noses.

sorry... i've been living in a country where my janitor gets as much respect as my doctor, and it's rubbed off.

19. swifteagle43

swifteagle43 Lover- not a fighter
    10+ Year Member

20. OSUdoc08

Removed

Medical Student
    :sleep:

21. Rendar5

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hoo boy, who else wants to freak out and over-react.

22. Phil Anthropist

Phil Anthropist SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

• Instead of starting threads against moderator actions, contact the moderators of the respective forums. We tend to be receptive to users who are respectful, even when they disagree with our actions.
    • The idea that the osteopathic route essentially limits you to primary care is overblown. Take a look at the residency placements / match lists of the DO schools to get an idea. In fact, there are many AOA (osteopathic) residency programs in many specialties--including surgery and many surgical subspecialties. There aren't equivalent AOA programs for every ACGME (allopathic) residency (e.g, radiation oncology, nuclear medicine, and pathology), but osteopathic students can apply for the ACGME residencies as well. [I'd support the idea of a combined match, but that's a whole issue in itself.] Furthermore, primary care residencies such as internal medicine or pediatrics provide a wealth of fellowship options--cardiology, pulmonology, hematology/oncology, rheumatology, etc.
    • Some osteopathic schools require a letter from a DO. However, most do not.
    • You say that you'd prefer MD, but would have no problem with DO behind your name. Let's say the stigma does exist, how much would that really affect you if it's not a big problem for you?
    • I'm closing this thread because it is not relevant to Pre-Allo and it's already devolving. Furthermore, Nate opened your thread, so there's no more reason to continue this discussion.
    • Lastly, when you go back to your thread in the Pre-Osteopathic forum remember that you'll get much more helpful responses if you can make your points in a non-inflammatory, respectful manner. I'm not saying that you have to be dishonest. If you say you'd prefer the MD route there's nothing wrong with that. But the minute you start making it sound like people who end up in DO schools are second-hand physicians-to-be, don't expect the warmest replies. :p Like a previous user suggested, use tact. ;)

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.