1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Why ".....?"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kelpy, Jul 18, 2006.

1. kelpy

kelpy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

How do you respond to secondary app questions that ask you to explain your reasons for picking that particular school? I looked at schools' websites and they basically say the same things about their program: strong faculty, highly competitive, successful in getting into residency, dedicated to research,...... I cannot find any unique information that sets the med schools apart. How do you guys go about responding to such questions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Shejeboshease

Shejeboshease Member
    10+ Year Member

Why does my 115lb girlfriend ask me everyday whether or not she looks fat?

4. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    some of them i have genuine reasons why i want to apply (money, state school, ive worked there before, etc) but you ask the golden question. personally i usually look up their faculties, their match statistics, check to see how many go into surgery, see which of their faculties have publications, and if so, have i ever used them before for work? Things like this make for a strong "why do you want to come here"

5. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, what made you choose those schools to apply to?

For instance, I applied based almost completely on curriculum and varied elective experiences. So I talked a bunch about that and also about the atmosphere of the school (which stressed diversity in its mission statement).

6. aung

aung Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Just curious, how much did everyone write for those questions? I made my answers very brief and concise, roughly a paragraph, for almost every one of those questions.

7. Neuro27

Neuro27 Member
    10+ Year Member

I just say:

I looked through MSAR and found your average/median stats to be way below my 45Z MCAT and 4.0 GPA. So I'm basically applying to your school as a safety school. Please feel honored that I'm filling out your secondary.

8. tacojohn

tacojohn Membership Revoked
    Removed

"Because I would like to get in somewhere."

Honestly, what could you possibly say to these questions that would make a difference?