1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Why ".....?"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kelpy, Jul 18, 2006.

1. kelpy

kelpy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

How do you respond to secondary app questions that ask you to explain your reasons for picking that particular school? I looked at schools' websites and they basically say the same things about their program: strong faculty, highly competitive, successful in getting into residency, dedicated to research,...... I cannot find any unique information that sets the med schools apart. How do you guys go about responding to such questions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Shejeboshease

Shejeboshease Member
    10+ Year Member

Why does my 115lb girlfriend ask me everyday whether or not she looks fat?

4. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    some of them i have genuine reasons why i want to apply (money, state school, ive worked there before, etc) but you ask the golden question. personally i usually look up their faculties, their match statistics, check to see how many go into surgery, see which of their faculties have publications, and if so, have i ever used them before for work? Things like this make for a strong "why do you want to come here"

5. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, what made you choose those schools to apply to?

For instance, I applied based almost completely on curriculum and varied elective experiences. So I talked a bunch about that and also about the atmosphere of the school (which stressed diversity in its mission statement).

6. aung

aung Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Just curious, how much did everyone write for those questions? I made my answers very brief and concise, roughly a paragraph, for almost every one of those questions.

7. Neuro27

Neuro27 Member
    10+ Year Member

I just say:

I looked through MSAR and found your average/median stats to be way below my 45Z MCAT and 4.0 GPA. So I'm basically applying to your school as a safety school. Please feel honored that I'm filling out your secondary.

8. tacojohn

tacojohn Membership Revoked
    Removed

"Because I would like to get in somewhere."

Honestly, what could you possibly say to these questions that would make a difference?