kelpy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
Status
How do you respond to secondary app questions that ask you to explain your reasons for picking that particular school? I looked at schools' websites and they basically say the same things about their program: strong faculty, highly competitive, successful in getting into residency, dedicated to research,...... I cannot find any unique information that sets the med schools apart. How do you guys go about responding to such questions?

Shejeboshease

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Status
kelpy said:
How do you respond to secondary app questions that ask you to explain your reasons for picking that particular school? I looked at schools' websites and they basically say the same things about their program: strong faculty, highly competitive, successful in getting into residency, dedicated to research,...... I cannot find any unique information that sets the med schools apart. How do you guys go about responding to such questions?
Why does my 115lb girlfriend ask me everyday whether or not she looks fat?

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
some of them i have genuine reasons why i want to apply (money, state school, ive worked there before, etc) but you ask the golden question. personally i usually look up their faculties, their match statistics, check to see how many go into surgery, see which of their faculties have publications, and if so, have i ever used them before for work? Things like this make for a strong "why do you want to come here"

About the Ads

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
kelpy said:
Well, what made you choose those schools to apply to?

For instance, I applied based almost completely on curriculum and varied elective experiences. So I talked a bunch about that and also about the atmosphere of the school (which stressed diversity in its mission statement).

aung

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2005
Queens, NYC
Status
Just curious, how much did everyone write for those questions? I made my answers very brief and concise, roughly a paragraph, for almost every one of those questions.

Neuro27

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
Status
I just say:

I looked through MSAR and found your average/median stats to be way below my 45Z MCAT and 4.0 GPA. So I'm basically applying to your school as a safety school. Please feel honored that I'm filling out your secondary.

tacojohn

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status
kelpy said:
"Because I would like to get in somewhere."

Honestly, what could you possibly say to these questions that would make a difference?

About the Ads