Wierd Test Rituals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexRusso

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So lets hear 'em..do you have any test rituals that you do on the day of or the day before an exam.

I for one have a "Test Outfit" -- its nothing special just comfortable jeans, a t-shirt a friend of mine from anoter med school gave me w. his shool's name on it b4 I started med school, and a fleece in case its cold. Worn the same outfit to every songle med school exam for the 1st 2 years. Got kinda tough this past week b/c I had 3 shelves in 3 days but I went home and changed after the shelf so the shirt wouldnt get too dirty...i know.. a lil disgusting but hey I wasn't about to do laundry w. a shelf on the following day. I think I'm gonna retire the otufit right after Step 1 in 5 weeks. Noticed a lot of other people in my class wearing the same sweatshirt or to every exam (one guy switched to a new shirt after he failed an exam).

Also used the same mechanical pencil for all y exams in the 1st 2 yrs. Retired that puppy today after my last shelf :D

I know it sounds a little crazy and I can't explain why I do it. I guess it's worked for me so far and "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Other stories I've heard is people absolutelly having to get a massage the day before an exam. One guy got pretty infuriated when the massage parlor told him they were booked-up for shelf week. Had to call a girl friend of his to come help him out.

Can't think of many others right now but I know they're out there...lets hear them.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had some weird test rituals. The only one I have is closing my eyes and praying before I submit my exam...only to find that I've failed. Like I did today. Stupid cardio and renal... :mad:

I tend not to shave around test time. Right now I got the full beard going on. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to shave it before our OSCE.

Members don't see this ad :)
i walk around school the morning of the test chanting my notes really loudly. but, hmm, i guess i dont really have a specific ritual.

I always make certain my bowels are well evacuated prior to test time...

I used to check that my name was correctly entered on the bubble sheet 5 times, say a prayer, take the test, pray again, then turn it in. So far it has been a charm. I've yet to turn in a test without my name on it, perhaps unfortunately.

short prayer before hitting submit :thumbup:

my eyebrows are always well groomed. can't go in with a stray hair! :luck:

Before the exam, I like to jerk off while rotating counter clockwise in the center of my bedroom at sunset. Then I eat a package of chicken ramen noodles, but I only use 1/2 of the flavor packet. On the way to the lecture hall, I make sure not to step on any cracks. I am barefoot, and I wear my luck toga of knowledge. I always sit in the same seat in the lecture hall. If any one is in my seat, I lift my toga and expose myself to them. They usually run away. Next I rotate my left foot clockwise during the exam, I put my name, the date, and the time on each page of the exam. If there are any questions I don't know the answer to, I will suck my thumb, close my eyes and hum until a letter answer pops into my head. So far this has worked pretty well. I'm honoring all of my exams, and I've only been arrested once for indecent exposure. I can't wait until I take step 1!!!

I used to have more of a rituralistic routine, but M2 and M3 threw that all out the window. I didn't even usually remember a pencil in the past two years!

orthoman5000 said:
I tend not to shave around test time. Right now I got the full beard going on. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to shave it before our OSCE.

same thing here...i was faced with the same decision for my OSCE's and wound up keeping the beard. I'm not gonna shave till after the Step 1 which is in like 5 weeks and I've already not shaved for like 3. I should be looking like castaway by the time my boards are done. Def. gonna have to shave b4 3rd year starts. Don't wanna be scaring patients.

AlexRusso said:
One guy got pretty infuriated when the massage parlor told him they were booked-up for shelf week. Had to call a girl friend of his to come help him out.
QUOTE]

I'm sure he was SO infuriated that he just HAD to have a girl friend of his to come "help" him out.... :laugh:

I need to try that with one of my female friends sometime! :)

-Ice

I take all my clothes off, curl up into a fetal position under my coffee table, weep and shake uncontrollably, and suck my thumb.

i've always wondered why medical students go so crazy over tests. doesn't make sense

I take all my clothes off, curl up into a fetal position under my coffee table, weep and shake uncontrollably, and suck my thumb.

This is too funny! :laugh:

bruinkid said:
i've always wondered why medical students go so crazy over tests. doesn't make sense

You are clearly not a medical student :rolleyes:

I always shave before a test, but never with an actual straight razor. I only use the beard trimmer without a guard. there is something that helps me think about having that really rough stubble you get when you use the trimmer without the guard. I just sit there and rub my chin while thinking about a tought question. Other weird rituals I do most tests: always borrow somebody else's pencil, never bring my own, drink a diet mountain dew, eat chickfila the morning of the exam, wear my duke baseball hat backwards (had to put this one on pause though during anatomy, my hat started to smell like that fine death-phenol cocktail of gross lab.)

A group of us go to IHOP the week of the test. All of us order some dish that we've ordered since the beginning of medical school. for me that is, friend chicken salad...it's not very good...but I gotta have it before the test...funny how medical students get before a test...

mfred said:
I...wear my duke baseball hat backwards (had to put this one on pause though during anatomy, my hat started to smell like that fine death-phenol cocktail of gross lab.)

which would be appropriate for a DUKE hat...

I dress nicely, have a good meal, and make sure I take a dump..it's not nice getting the urge during the exam..you know...especially when you are rushing or tense
and pray..God helps those who help themselves

I have a special good luck test ring, special good luck test socks (the ones with a hole for every toe), and special good luck mechanical pencil. I also wear an old t-shirt from college to remind me of the good old times.