Wife got into med school...I'm in med school, now concerned about residency..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrrrrmmmm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if this is a better post for the MD forums, but thought I'd see if anyone else has been in this situation.

ME:
Med student in Houston
A/B/C's my first 2 years of school
Now a third year with A's and B's this year and strong evaluations
Step I of only 209
A little extra curricular here and there

HER:
Just got accepted to A&M

So she'll be a first year when I'm a 4th year. A second year when I'm entering residency, etc.

I want to do internal medicine with a goal of primary care (not looking to subspecialize into cards or anything).

The reality that I don't get to choose where I go to residency is starting to set it. I've only been married to my wife for 3 years, but the thought of doing the next 4 years at distance (4th year and possibly 3 of residency) is killing me.

What are my options here?
I'm studying this year like I never have. I want the ability to train near her.
What can I do to maximize my chances of getting a residency near her??
Do programs take this kind of thing into account?
If I go rock a sub-I rotation at her school next year, just basically sit down with the attending and say "look, my wife is here. If I get to come here I'd work my ass off for you to make it worth your while"??? would that matter? I think my grades are going to hold me back and I'm trying my best to fix that.

Thanks for any input. I guess I should have gone to med school a few years later so we could just couples match....sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a difficult situation. I'm not sure what I can offer in terms of advice, other than have her choose a school that has lots of residency options nearby, and then apply to those positions and rank them all at the top and cross your fingers!! I'm sure other people will have better ideas though.

That sounds like a difficult situation. I'm not sure what I can offer in terms of advice, other than have her choose a school that has lots of residency options nearby, and then apply to those positions and rank them all at the top and cross your fingers!! I'm sure other people will have better ideas though.

That's what I figured. So I guess the real question is - how do I maximize my chance? And do programs care about my personal situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
A few ideas:

1) If you're interested in primary care, look long and hard into Family rather than Internal. There are probably a lot more small community FM programs within easy driving distance of AM than there are IM programs, and they'd probably be a lot happier to have you.

2) At least at my school, we've had the deans arrange it so that some 4th year students have spend basically their entire 4th years on away rotations near their spouse. See if you can spend most of 4th year around A&M. Of course we have 7 month of elective plus 2 months of vacation, so if you have less that might be a problem. Similarly she might be able to spend her 4th year with you.

3) You might be able to drop down a year if your school is willing to let you take a year off and do a 1 year degree with A&M. MPH, reasearch year, MMM, and MBA are all options. That way you'd only be apart for 3 years. If you do the second degree, spend your 4th year with her, and then she spends her 4th year with you you're only apart for 1 year.

4) Yes, you should rotate with A&M IM and make sure that they're aware of the situation (as well as impressing them). Med schools have more heart than you think, they might move some mountains to get you in to their program.

Last edited:
How old are you? You're certainly in a tough spot. Easiest solution? Go do a phd at your wife's school and then do a couples match.

A few ideas:

1) If you're interested in primary care, look long and hard into Family rather than Internal. There are probably a lot more small community FM programs within easy driving distance of AM than there are IM programs, and they'd probably be a lot happier to have you.

2) At least at my school, we've had the deans arrange it so that some 4th year students have spend basically their entire 4th years on away rotations near their spouse. See if you can spend most of 4th year around A&M. Of course we have 7 month of elective plus 2 months of vacation, so if you have less that might be a problem. Similarly she might be able to spend her 4th year with you.

3) You might be able to drop down a year if your school is willing to let you take a year off and do a 1 year degree with A&M. MPH, reasearch year, MMM, and MBA are all options. That way you'd only be apart for 3 years. If you do the second degree, spend your 4th year with her, and then she spends her 4th year with you you're only apart for 1 year.

4) Yes, you should rotate with A&M IM and make sure that they're aware of the situation (as well as impressing them). Med schools have more heart than you think, they might move some mountains to get you in to their program.

Holy Crap...Thank you for this.

And actually FM and IM are both on my plate and I will be applying to both specialties next year.
I had not considered another degree, but I was considering extended years and what not. So this helps me for sure with some additional perspective.

Thanks again!

Holy Crap...Thank you for this.

And actually FM and IM are both on my plate and I will be applying to both specialties next year.
I had not considered another degree, but I was considering extended years and what not. So this helps me for sure with some additional perspective.

Thanks again!

I would definitely talk to the deans at your school and ask them for advice regarding your situation. However, in the end, you're probably going to be okay. For one thing, there are a ton of different programs both in internal medicine as well as family and coming from a US allopathic school is going to help you tremendously. Secondly, you're also committed to a specific area-- programs are looking for that. They want candidates who are going to be happy in their geographic area and commit to that area. Clearly you can give them that.

Silas nailed it with a subtle point in his response. Programs WANT people with a connection to their program. During my interview process this year, I have realized that this is more important to people than scores or anything else, assuming you have the minimal requirements to make it past their screening.

The good thing for you is that primary care in our country right now is one of the least competitive fields, plus you did school in Texas, plus you're married to someone doing their training in a specific area. I wouldn't worry at all about it personally.

Also, doing primary care you'll finish when your wife is finishing school, so you can move wherever she wants to train, and be the breadwinner for a few years. You're golden sir. Keep working hard, don't burn bridges, and train near A&M

Silas nailed it with a subtle point in his response. Programs WANT people with a connection to their program. During my interview process this year, I have realized that this is more important to people than scores or anything else, assuming you have the minimal requirements to make it past their screening.

The good thing for you is that primary care in our country right now is one of the least competitive fields, plus you did school in Texas, plus you're married to someone doing their training in a specific area. I wouldn't worry at all about it personally.

Also, doing primary care you'll finish when your wife is finishing school, so you can move wherever she wants to train, and be the breadwinner for a few years. You're golden sir. Keep working hard, don't burn bridges, and train near A&M

I'd echo all of this, and say that once your wife commits to a medical school (A&M) as an example, it may be worth emailing the FM or IM program directors for nearby residencies to let them know of your interest. Do some away rotations at nearby programs, if they are somewhat competitive get involved with research while you are there.

from what i understand, there are multiple track options for her medical education at a&m (i'm also headed there as c/o 2015). she can be at both college station and temple for the first two years and then college station, dallas, temple and round rock for clinical years so there are many options for you to choose from as far as what area of texas you choose to do your residency training at.

my boyfriend and i are going to be in a similar situation in 4 years (he's commissioning into the air force in 2013) so i will also be looking for residency options near his station.

good luck to you guys!