1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Wife in Australia

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by Sohcahtoa, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Sohcahtoa

Sohcahtoa fight or flight
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I did a search for this but didn't find any helpful results. So, I was wondering if I could bring my wife to Australia for the duration of medical school if I were to be accepted. Would she need a work visa to stay for the whole time? Anyone know how it works for her to stay that long? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes you can bring your wife with you and for the whole time. Several of my classmates brought wives.

As an Assessment Level 1 applicant, when you are granted your Masters & Doctorate (Subclass 574) Student Visa, the members of your family unit are permitted to live with you in Australia . Members of your family who intend to live with you in Australia must meet the same general requirements for the grant of a student visa as you. That is, they must be of good health and character, be covered by Australian health insurance, and have no outstanding debts to the Commonwealth of Australia. The period of stay granted to members of your family unit will generally be the same as your period of stay.

If members of your family unit who are not included in your initial student visa application later seek to join you in Australia, you must nominate them to join you and they must apply separately for visas.

4. Sohcahtoa

Sohcahtoa fight or flight
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's great news! Thank you for the information. :D