Wife in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sohcahtoa

fight or flight
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search for this but didn't find any helpful results. So, I was wondering if I could bring my wife to Australia for the duration of medical school if I were to be accepted. Would she need a work visa to stay for the whole time? Anyone know how it works for her to stay that long? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search for this but didn't find any helpful results. So, I was wondering if I could bring my wife to Australia for the duration of medical school if I were to be accepted. Would she need a work visa to stay for the whole time? Anyone know how it works for her to stay that long? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes you can bring your wife with you and for the whole time. Several of my classmates brought wives.

As an Assessment Level 1 applicant, when you are granted your Masters & Doctorate (Subclass 574) Student Visa, the members of your family unit are permitted to live with you in Australia . Members of your family who intend to live with you in Australia must meet the same general requirements for the grant of a student visa as you. That is, they must be of good health and character, be covered by Australian health insurance, and have no outstanding debts to the Commonwealth of Australia. The period of stay granted to members of your family unit will generally be the same as your period of stay.

If members of your family unit who are not included in your initial student visa application later seek to join you in Australia, you must nominate them to join you and they must apply separately for visas.

That's great news! Thank you for the information. :D