Wife matched at WashU. Advice on me matching Neuro at WashU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wifewashustlouis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love some advice from the knowledgeable people on SDN!

My wife matched at Wash U in St Louis on Friday. I'm currently a MS3, and obviously now WashU is at the top of my list. I know WashU is an amazing program and competitive to get into. I'm at a top 20 US MD school, 250s step 1, Honors on all clerkships except for a High Pass on Family Medicine. Doing some research but never published.

I've been thinking about doing an away at WashU, but have gotten mixed advice about if this would be helpful or hurtful. Besides my wife, I don't have any ties to Missouri or the Midwest, so I would like to show interest in the area.

Do you think I have a shot at Wash U Neuro? Should I do an away rotation? Anything else you guys think I should do to improve my chances?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You probably have a shot there. If it's really a must-match situation because of your wife, you could always have your PD contact their PD about the situation when the time is right, just to make it clear if it isn't already. You can consider an away rotation and try to walk that fine balance between being conscientious and driven without looking like a gunner.

Programs are typically used to evaluating applicants based on whether they can imagine them performing well in their program, based on application materials, scores, and interviews. Doing an away rotation there means that they no longer have to imagine what you'll be like -- they'll see it. Only you can decide if you're likely to improve your chances of matching by providing a concrete experience for them to draw from.

Reactions: 1 user