This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohiotostl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Hi all! I feel so fortunate to have found this blog. I am in desperate need of some support. Here's my backstory:

My husband is a non-traditional (perspective) med student who completed a post-baccalaureate program this Spring. He was a career changer, working for 7+ years as a Firefighter/Paramedic. He was accepted to a prestigious school to complete this post-bacc program where he earned a 3.65 GPA. His undergraduate GPA was a 3.1 and he scored a 504 on his MCAT. He has a kick-ass PS, as well as solid LOR's and experience as a first responder. It has been difficult because my career as a teacher has been put on hold to ensure he follows his dream. We also have a 3-year old daughter and live 7 hours away from any familial support. He is going to make an AMAZING doctor and I am confident he will succeed but I am just feeling UBER stressed at the moment. Any kind words of encouragement? Success stories? Thoughts on if/where he will be accepted to Med School?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your response! His applications were submitted the minute the window opened on June 7th! Our state of residence is Ohio. Do you think this experience will weigh heavily? Thanks for any insights!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he applied to all the Ohio schools (except Case). Other schools where he has a chance for an interview with his stats include:
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Vermont
Eastern Virginia
Since MD admissions is so competitive it would be a good idea to apply to at least 8 DO schools also. Some schools require a DO LOR. He could try:
OU-HCOM (Ohio school where his best chance would be)
PCOM
LECOM
MU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
Add a few more in areas of the country that appeal to you and where you could find a teaching position.

I recommend:

Quinnipiac
Oakland U Beaumont
WVU
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
MCW
Creighton
NYMC
VCU
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
Netter
ALL OH schools EXCEPT Case

Any DO school, starting with OH-COM, MUCOM, CCOM, KYCOM, LECOM, PCOM, WVSOM and MSUCOM

1. Hi all! I feel so fortunate to have found this blog. I am in desperate need of some support. Here's my backstory:

My husband is a non-traditional (perspective) med student who completed a post-baccalaureate program this Spring. He was a career changer, working for 7+ years as a Firefighter/Paramedic. He was accepted to a prestigious school to complete this post-bacc program where he earned a 3.65 GPA. His undergraduate GPA was a 3.1 and he scored a 504 on his MCAT. He has a kick-ass PS, as well as solid LOR's and experience as a first responder. It has been difficult because my career as a teacher has been put on hold to ensure he follows his dream. We also have a 3-year old daughter and live 7 hours away from any familial support. He is going to make an AMAZING doctor and I am confident he will succeed but I am just feeling UBER stressed at the moment. Any kind words of encouragement? Success stories? Thoughts on if/where he will be accepted to Med School?

MD schools will include and average all undergraduate coursework he took to calculate the GPA. DO schools will use the highest grade for a repeated course. Is the 3.1 uGPA including the post-bacc GPA? Here is a link to calculate his AMCAS GPA (MD schools) and AACOMAS GPA (DO schools): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/please-read-before-posting.901670/

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for this! He did not repeat any courses from undergrad in post-bacc (he was an Education major in undergrad). His 3.1 GPA does not include post-bacc. How much do you think experience in the medical field, as well as attending a prestigious school for his post-bacc program will help increase chances?

Thanks for this! He did not repeat any courses from undergrad in post-bacc (he was an Education major in undergrad). His 3.1 GPA does not include post-bacc. How much do you think experience in the medical field, as well as attending a prestigious school for his post-bacc program will help increase chances?

There is an AMCAS GPA Calculation Excel Sheet in the link I posted. You need to combine his undergraduate coursework with his post-bacc grades to calculate his cGPA and sGPA. This will help people give you better advice. Also, what schools did he apply to? I am not sure of how his experience will affect his chances.

Reactions: 1 users
He did not apply DO. Do schools typically look at the most recent GPA (post-bacc)? Or the cumulative?
He is a much better candidate for DO schools with his gpa.
As previously noted MD schools average the post-bac into previous grades. Although trend is important, so is the cumulative gpa. We need to know it to give advice.
It might be better if he were here himself, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a much better candidate for DO schools with his gpa.
As previously noted MD schools average the post-bac into previous grades. Although trend is important, so is the cumulative gpa. We need to know it to give advice.
It might be better if he were here himself, no?

His cumulative GPA is a 3.3.

There is an AMCAS GPA Calculation Excel Sheet in the link I posted. You need to combine his undergraduate coursework with his post-bacc grades to calculate his cGPA and sGPA. This will help people give you better advice. Also, what schools did he apply to? I am not sure of how his experience will affect his chances.

His overall GPA is 3.3. He has applied to the following schools:

Vermont
Ohio State
Wright State
Case
Medical U SC
Oakland
Loyola
USUHS
UNC

Vermont
Ohio State
Wright State
Case
Medical U SC
Oakland
Loyola
USUHS
UNC
About 23% of applicants with similar stats got into an MD school. This list is not long or specific enough to expect an outcome that high. He has some chance of an interview at Wright and at USUHS if he has a validated commitment to military medicine. He has a modest chance at OH State, but should really apply to all OH schools (except Case). Has he purchased the MSAR?

Vermont
Ohio State
Wright State
Case
Medical U SC
Oakland
Loyola
USUHS
UNC

I believe USC and UNC take very few OOS applicants. With a 3.3/504 he needs to have a much longer list. Does he have subscription to MSAR? Either way, it would be wise to apply to DO schools if he wants to increase his chances of an acceptance. Goro and Faha provided a list of DO schools he has a chance at.

Vermont
Ohio State
Wright State
Case
Medical U SC
Oakland
Loyola
USUHS
UNC

UNC's website reports that they automatically screen out-of-state applicants for GPA. Unfortunately I think he is below the threshold.

With those stats I would seriously suggest adding 10 DO schools if your husband wants to avoid having to reapply. His app looks more in line with a DO applicant than an MD one.

Reactions: 1 user