Wife wants to go to South Dakota. Anybody been?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The woman who used to complain if the temperature fell below 80 degrees has now gone all "Cowboys and Indians!" on me, and wants to visit the Badlands and Deadwood, etc.

A few years back, we planned a trip to New Mexico and y'all had some GREAT tips on where to stay/what to see/what to eat. Thanks.

Anybody been to South Dakota?

Members don't see this ad.

The woman who used to complain if the temperature fell below 80 degrees has now gone all "Cowboys and Indians!" on me, and wants to visit the Badlands and Deadwood, etc.

A few years back, we planned a trip to New Mexico and y'all had some GREAT tips on where to stay/what to see/what to eat. Thanks.

I haven't been in ~15 years but the badlands are a must see. Will make you feel like you're on Mars.

Black Hills are fine but if you only have time for one, badlands >>> the hills.

Also, check out Wall Drug. Definitely a unique kernel of Americana.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Visited Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota on my way to Wyoming.

Before leaving Mt. Rushmore, I dined on a pot roast lunch in the "Dakota Kitchen." It was pretty decent food. Then, drove to the Crazy Horse Memorial for a quick look around, before proceeding to Wyoming. I only spent a day in South Dakota.

Friendly suggestion ... if you're interested in the Wild West, I'd suggest a drive over to Wyoming or Montana, if you have the time. More to see; more to do; and more opportunities to experience the wild west outdoors.

Last edited:
I have a buddy who *just* went to Deadwood. On a whim. Because of the show. I can ask him, but hell, maybe you already know him. Our neck of the woods is pretty small...

My family did the badlands and Mt Rushmore and Wall Drug and the Corn Palace and Devil's Tower (and a bunch of other stuff) when I was a kid. Drove all the way around the state of Nebraska (yes, around. Not in.) and hit every national park on the way.