Technology WiFi on an unlocked Cell Phone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Army_Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a new pda-phone. I like the idea of carrying one device around. I was going to buy it online rather than at t-mobile to save costs, since I do not want to extend my contract. A lot of the phones i'm looking at are unlocked and have WiFi support, and my school is also entirely covered with their WiFi network. Since I'm basically going to be spending all my time at my apartment and school, I only need portable internet access occasionally when i'm at the school.

Can i get away with not getting a data plan on these phones and use the WiFi through school, or do I have to go through the phone company? I called T-mobile but the guy did not know crap about it (he just repeated the description of the phone from the website). Someone else mentioned that even though these phones have WiFi support, you can't connect to anyone's WiFi unless you pay a fee to the phone company. (Which, IMHO, is bulls*hit since the school is providing the network...and the phone company would be charging me to use it). Anyways, any thoughts on whether or not its possible for me to use the internet in school without paying the extra 30 bucks a month?

Members don't see this ad.

Army_Doc said:
I was thinking about getting a new pda-phone. I like the idea of carrying one device around. I was going to buy it online rather than at t-mobile to save costs, since I do not want to extend my contract. A lot of the phones i'm looking at are unlocked and have WiFi support, and my school is also entirely covered with their WiFi network. Since I'm basically going to be spending all my time at my apartment and school, I only need portable internet access occasionally when i'm at the school.

Can i get away with not getting a data plan on these phones and use the WiFi through school, or do I have to go through the phone company? I called T-mobile but the guy did not know crap about it (he just repeated the description of the phone from the website). Someone else mentioned that even though these phones have WiFi support, you can't connect to anyone's WiFi unless you pay a fee to the phone company. (Which, IMHO, is bulls*hit since the school is providing the network...and the phone company would be charging me to use it). Anyways, any thoughts on whether or not its possible for me to use the internet in school without paying the extra 30 bucks a month?

Yes, this is what I do.

I have the Cingular 8125 Pocket PC.

OSUdoc08 said:
Yes, this is what I do.

I have the Cingular 8125 Pocket PC.

cool thanks. I just talked to another guy from t-mobile who told me i HAD to go through them to use WiFi on ANY phone with my sim card in it. Damn idiots! I was concerned because i don't want to buy a $400 smart phone on ebay then not be able to use it without paying an extra $360 a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Army_Doc said:
cool thanks. I just talked to another guy from t-mobile who told me i HAD to go through them to use WiFi on ANY phone with my sim card in it. Damn idiots! I was concerned because i don't want to buy a $400 smart phone on ebay then not be able to use it without paying an extra $360 a year.

I don't see why you need to go through the phone company if your phone truly has Wi-Fi.

Cingular is the best company anyway. Second best is Verizon.

I wouldn't mess with T-Mobile.

What phones? What I have seen so far is a choice between phone or Wi-Fi built in, not both. One can get a phone PDA and then add a Wi-Fi card, I think. Anyhow, I am curious to which phone PDAs you are looking at (sorry to change the topic, lol).

N-Surge said:
What phones? What I have seen so far is a choice between phone or Wi-Fi built in, not both. One can get a phone PDA and then add a Wi-Fi card, I think. Anyhow, I am curious to which phone PDAs you are looking at (sorry to change the topic, lol).

Cingular 8125 (Verizon and other companies have a duplicate model) has a built in "Wi-Fi" card and/or can use internet through the phone company.

I know that blackberries, and other such phones do the same thing.

N-Surge said:

t-mobile MDA (same as cingular PPC pda)
Nokia E61
O2 XDA
etc,
just go to ebay and seach for WiFi PDA in the cell phone section, and you'll get tons...most at prices better than any existing phones at the major wireless providers. Of course, its Ebay, so you have to be careful and do your research on the seller.

Many of those phones wern't released in the US. They're used by T-mobile Europe, and other foreign companies. However, many run on US compatable networks (like GSM for t-mobile, etc) so you can use them in the US if you put your SIM card in.

Army_Doc said:
t-mobile MDA (same as cingular PPC pda)
Nokia E61
O2 XDA
etc,
just go to ebay and seach for WiFi PDA in the cell phone section, and you'll get tons...most at prices better than any existing phones at the major wireless providers. Of course, its Ebay, so you have to be careful and do your research on the seller.

Many of those phones wern't released in the US. They're used by T-mobile Europe, and other foreign companies. However, many run on US compatable networks (like GSM for t-mobile, etc) so you can use them in the US if you put your SIM card in.

Thanks!