Wikipedia Donation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giovanotto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize ahead of time if this is inappropriate, but I'd really like to urge SDN users to donate to Wikipedia today. It is an excellent source of information, one that I used heavily throughout years 1 & 2 of medical school. It is my go-to for pharmaceuticals, for example. Please consider giving 2-3 dollars. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with the organization in any way, I just really like their vision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I already give $3/mo. I consider it a small price to pay considering the share of my medical education they’re directly responsible for

Reactions: 1 user
I donate to them on an annual basis and have done so for the last 5 years or so. Wiki has greatly increased my ease of attaining information, and is a much better source than its given credit for being by some people.

I don’t use it for medical info, but it’s a great source for just about everything.

I enjoy free-loading off of Wikipedia. But I promise myself when I am a successful doctor not in crippling debt, Ill give back to them for getting me where I am

I apologize ahead of time if this is inappropriate, but I'd really like to urge SDN users to donate to Wikipedia today. It is an excellent source of information, one that I used heavily throughout years 1 & 2 of medical school. It is my go-to for pharmaceuticals, for example. Please consider giving 2-3 dollars. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Not affiliated with the organization in any way, I just really like their vision.

Given the fact that my medical school charged me $150,000 for my "education" then immediately did away with lectures in favor of new-age educational snakeoil, aka team-based learning led by non-physician education "doctors," aka teach-yourselves-and-your-peers-medical-school-using-Wikipedia, it does seem only fair.

Reactions: 1 users
I enjoy free-loading off of Wikipedia. But I promise myself when I am a successful doctor not in crippling debt, Ill give back to them for getting me where I am

I'm pretty sure they will gladly accept a $1 donation.

Quality WP journalism as always:

Correction: Due to a math error, this story originally reported that Wikipedia’s net assets are “about three times” the site’s annual expenses. In fact, they are about 1.5 times the site’s annual expenses. We regret the error.

So it looks like that one and a half years cash on hand. So? Am I missing something? It is certainly reasonable for them to have an annual fundraising campaign since they are not funded by advertisers. I don’t see any problem with this at all.

Reactions: 2 users
I think we have 5000 other things to worry about before considering Wikipedia to be ripping us off. They deserve our tuition more than my school does.

I’d gladly give my tuition and taxes to Wikipedia. Positive they put it to bettter use than the gubment and DO admin

Reactions: 3 users
Wikipedia also deserves my tuition more than my school. But Ill have to wait to give back until they can print out fancy MD degrees.

Reactions: 1 users