Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Wil i be able to get into pharmacy school under these conditions

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by boosting003, May 17, 2008.

1. boosting003

Pre-Pharmacy
    i flunked out of college my freshman year where I was majoring in criminal justice. Since then I have become more serious in my education and i want to become a pharmacist. I am going to a community college right now and from what i understand i can take the pre requisites and transfer into the pharmacy program. The only thing that is holding me back is that im unsure if i will be accepted because of my transcript from my first year in college where i did terrible(during that year i lost a very close family member which affected my performance). what do you guys think? any info would be appreciated. this is something i really want.

2. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    What's your GPA? The number says a lot.

Still, you do have the advantage of having an upward trend in grades. Coupling a good PCAT score and pharmacy experience will boost your application. Many schools have a section within the supplemental that lets you explain extraordinary circumstances that led to some red flag in your grades. Of course, this is dependent on the school.

3. boosting003

Pre-Pharmacy
    right now ive been in community college for 1 semester and havent got my grades as of yet but its definitely above a 3.0. I want to see if i would have a chance of getting in before i start taking all the pre req classes so i wont be wasting my time

4. omnione

Pharmacy Student
    Sure, you have a chance. You just have to be selective in the schools you apply to. You just need to overcome that with the other components of the application.

Normally, a sub-3.0 GPA is a dire situation. 3.0 is below average but it can be overcome depending on the school if you have a well-rounded application.

5. boosting003

Pre-Pharmacy
    what are the chances like? is it going to be very slim or would i stand a good chance?

6. omnione

Pharmacy Student
    Like I said before, it depends on the rest of your application. I wouldn't say that your chances are great, but they might not be slim either. There's one 3.0 admitted student for every 3.8 GPA admitted student applying to a school with an average of 3.4.

I think that it's worth a shot but you have to work to improve your application.

7. Drug Doc

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

no one in this forum is going to be able to tell you whether you have a good or slim chance. however, i want you to know that the situation you encountered in college did not erase your chances of getting in. the reason i say no one can tell you your chances is because since you are barely starting on your pre-reqs right now it really comes down to how well you do from here on out. it is obvious you have a detrimental gpa coming out of your initial college so you are going to have to kick *** on the rest of your classes. also, just like anyone else, you need to show that pharmacy is what you want to do so you need to get started on gaining pharmacy experience and doing other ec's as well. your efforts are going to define your chances so just make sure you work hard. i wish you the best of luck boosting003.

8. boosting003

Pre-Pharmacy
    will it be frowned upon or put me at a disadvantage if i take the pre requisites at a community college?

9. pharmgrl5

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm in the same situation as you. Well nearly. My first year was bad due to personal health issues. I switched to a community college which I'll start attending in the fall. The reasons for that were: they are more forgiving and allow me a second chance, they offer more variety of online classes, and heck you know they are cheaper, that's a plus in the long run. I plan to switch back to my previous school in the Fall of 2009 probably. I've worried a lot about what is going to happen from here but I refuse to give up. I started working at a pharmacy as a pharmacy tech this month and plan to stay there throughout. Maybe someday I can work there as a pharmacist even. I'm hoping that experience in a pharmacy can help give me a little boost up. And it'll also give me access to pharmacists who can do recommendations for me. I really like my pharmacists already, I don't think there will be any problem making relationships and later down the road asking for a recommendation.

What you need to do is not think about "what if", just do the best you can and literally act like nothing happened. The reason I say that is that sometimes when you are stressing real hard about something bad that happened (like flunking out your entire year) it can unintentionally cause you to do worse in your current classes. Think positive about it, if you are thinking too negatively about it it will reflect in how you do.

If it's something you really want to do then go for it. The way I see it is I'd hate to look back years from now and wonder "what if I had tried anyway", I'd rather at least try even if it doesn't work out. Then I can at least say "I'm not a quitter, I at least tried". I hope that makes sense.

10. vtecdoma

Pre-Pharmacy
    This is the attitude that will get you no where! Never let anyone tell you that you can't do something. What you need to know is that there are 2 GPAs. Your cumulative GPA and your science GPA. Try as hard as you can keeping that science GPA high.

11. boosting003

Pre-Pharmacy
    ive made up my mind and im going to go for it.thanks everyone for all of your advice and info i really appreciate it and good luck to all of you in your careers.