Wild Variation in Qbank scores???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone else regularly experiences 20 point or so differences in Qbank in the same day. I usually do two sets a night and lately they've been wildly variable. Today I got a 62 and then a 90. A few days ago I got a 54 followed by an 80. I don't know how to feel or which score to believe. 54 I don't even think is passing, while 80-90 would give me a crazy good score I think like 250+. So is the true mean just the average of the scores? Or does the wild test-to-test variation mean anything? If anyone has taken Step 1 already and experienced a similar phenomenon, I'd love to know how it turned out for you.

thx,
patrick

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I'm just wondering if anyone else regularly experiences 20 point or so differences in Qbank in the same day. I usually do two sets a night and lately they've been wildly variable. Today I got a 62 and then a 90. A few days ago I got a 54 followed by an 80. I don't know how to feel or which score to believe. 54 I don't even think is passing, while 80-90 would give me a crazy good score I think like 250+. So is the true mean just the average of the scores? Or does the wild test-to-test variation mean anything? If anyone has taken Step 1 already and experienced a similar phenomenon, I'd love to know how it turned out for you.

thx,
patrick

The questions are randomly selected, and thus you can obviously have a test full of questions of things you know well versus things you don't. Which is why they let you see your cumulative score -- which is your only real guage. Until you are getting consistent scores it usually means there are uneven gaps in your knowledge. Focus most heavilly on those subjects.

Hi all,

thx,
patrick

If you got a 62 and then a 90 I'd say you're right on track. I crushed Step1 and I don't think I ever got a 90 on random 50 qbank...

Think of it as good prep for the real thing, you might have a section where you feel like you only know about 1/5 of the questions. You have to push through it and keep going!

If you got a 62 and then a 90 I'd say you're right on track. I crushed Step1 and I don't think I ever got a 90 on random 50 qbank...

Think of it as good prep for the real thing, you might have a section where you feel like you only know about 1/5 of the questions. You have to push through it and keep going!

What was your cumulative QBank and your step 1 score? I'm 63% finished with a 66% overall, made lower by a number of 50 - 55% scores early on when I hadn't studied much and was not thinking through the questions. I average in the 70's now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

thx,
patrick

I'm the same and it is scary (50s to 90s on random 50 question blocks). My 1st NBME was 235 though and from what I can gather it is a stronger predictor. Are you doing anything systematically wrong: eading questions wrong, not covering a set of material, going to quickly?

I had the exact same problem even up until 3 days prior to the exam. I had to quit using Qbank after finishing 93% after going from a 92- 64 and then another 60 or something. My overall average on Qbank was a 77% and I got a 251 on the USMLE. Use Qbank as a learning tool, not an assessment.