MD & DO Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NedRyerson!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have an overall 3.86cGPA and 525 MCAT applying in the upcoming cycle with some pretty good EC's (research, club executives, shadowing, non-profit founder, sport coaching and intramurals). However, in my first semester of first year of university, I received a C in gen chem I and a C- in calculus. I was very unprepared coming out of high school and immediately picked myself up and received perfect A+ averages every semester afterwards.

How much with the 2 C's affect me in terms of competitiveness at top schools and other schools as well?

My thoughts...

Will they affect you? Maybe

If they do will it be super impactful? Probably not.

I have an overall 3.86cGPA and 525 MCAT applying in the upcoming cycle with some pretty good EC's (research, club executives, shadowing, non-profit founder, sport coaching and intramurals). However, in my first semester of first year of university, I received a C in gen chem I and a C- in calculus. I was very unprepared coming out of high school and immediately picked myself up and received perfect A+ averages every semester afterwards.

How much with the 2 C's affect me in terms of competitiveness at top schools and other schools as well?

All that may happen is during your interviews they will say: you got a C, what happened? DO NOT BLAME ANYONE ELSE BUT YOU!!!! Just say, you were still adjusting and you didn't know how to study OR you were immature and you learned and grew from that experience.

That's it. You have a good application. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please. You are fine. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really can't take post like this serious. Those who make these post have something seriously wrong in the head. Buy the MSAR look at average GPA's for accepted and matriculated students.

side note in case you are not a troll : many schools require two math courses as premedical requirements. Your C- would not count as a passing grade for many medical school. So make sure you have taken two math courses (Calculus, statistics ... whatever).

I really can't take post like this serious. Those who make these post have something seriously wrong in the head. Buy the MSAR look at average GPA's for accepted and matriculated students.

side note in case you are not a troll : many schools require two math courses as premedical requirements. Your C- would not count as a passing grade for many medical school. So make sure you have taken two math courses (Calculus, statistics ... whatever).

Lol sorry, I guess I'm just a little too paranoid then. In terms of the two math requirements, if I take two other math courses (two statistics for example) then they wouldn't count the C- in calculus in terms of my requirements correct?

Lol sorry, I guess I'm just a little too paranoid then. In terms of the two math requirements, if I take two other math courses (two statistics for example) then they wouldn't count the C- in calculus in terms of my requirements correct?

I think two statistics courses would cover the math requirement but you should double check with the schools your interested in. However, the C- would still count in your BCPM GPA. Throughout my application process there have been some schools that have asked me which courses I am using to fill the premedical requirements and in that case you could probably say your using your two statistics courses. Not sure if they calculate a separate GPA for that though. Additionally some schools have asked in their secondary to explain the reason for any grades lower than a B (so B- and bellow), so that is something to keep in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.