Will a B in statistics hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyork-3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a rising senior at a top-20 university with around a 3.85 GPA. I have A's and A-'s in every class but three: Sociology 101 (B+), Cognition (B+), and Stats (B).

I am planning to apply to Clinical Psych PhD programs. Will my two B+'s and, more importantly, my B in Statistics completely kill my chances of getting into a program? I have good experience with statistical computer programs used in research labs, but I am getting worried that my classroom grade might present really poorly to programs reviewing my application. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have research experience? Most programs will be much more interested in whether you have actually been involved in research than if you got a B+ vs an A in stats.

Reactions: 3 users
I mean probably not unless the PI has a very strong emphasis on statistical modeling. I had a B+ in advance stats and after I told a POI what the class entailed she laughed and said it was more than enough for her lab's needs. If you're asked you can explain it but don't bring it up if no one points it out.