Will a B or a B- in precalculus prevent me from getting into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsavedhero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman in college. I am taking general chem/music/english/precal my first semester. So far I am doing very well in chemistry music and english. However I am lagging behind in precalculus. I just got a 75% on my precal exam :(. If I get an A in chem music and english but a B or B- in precal will that ruin my chances for getting into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a freshman in college. I am taking general chem/music/english/precal my first semester. So far I am doing very well in chemistry music and english. However I am lagging behind in precalculus. I just got a 75% on my precal exam :(. If I get an A in chem music and english but a B or B- in precal will that ruin my chances for getting into medical school?

No.

No but your neuroticism might make people you work and go to school with hate you which will translate into a bad time in college and utter lack of social skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
No but your neuroticism might make people you work and go to school with hate you which will translate into a bad time in college and utter lack of social skills.

Well dude the rest of my life depends on this. In high school I slacked off and did nothing. The only h.s class I enjoyed was physics. I dont want college to be a repeat so I just wanna do good. If I dont get into med school theres nothing to live for :(

Well dude the rest of my life depends on this. In high school I slacked off and did nothing. The only h.s class I enjoyed was physics. I dont want college to be a repeat so I just wanna do good. If I dont get into med school theres nothing to live for :(

You need some more perspective on life. This "medical school or the streets" attitude is a childish nonsense.

I like to wander into Pre-Allo for the laughs from threads like these.

In all seriousness, years from now you'll look back on this and realize how much you wish you would have just chilled out and enjoyed your college years.

A B won't kill you. More B's than that won't kill you. This stress could one day. Seriously, chill out a bit. We all get you want to do well but it's not the end of the world and you have SO MUCH time.

Do some ECs you enjoy and have some fun. College will be so much better once you relax a bit.

No, calm down.

Even some more B's won't hurt your chances. You don't need a perfect 4.0.

Yes.

just kidding. I just wanted to be different ._.

can we just stop replying to threads like this?

either troll or neurotic freshman who isn't neurotic enough to read the forum enough to see that this thread is done every single week with different classes. B in intro bio, C in orgo1 blah blah blah.

do you really think one b will keep you out of med school, OP? do you?

... And this is why helping freshman premeds is a waste of time.

1. You're a freshman and complaining about a B.
2. You demand an entry into med school and refuse to consider the alternatives.

The good news is you'll have a lot of premeds accompanying you on your future abandonment of med school aspirations after your freshman year.

The above advice is serious and harsh, but it was warranted by such naivete of a freshman premed.

OP, if you're serious, you are fine. Stop panicking or reconsider your goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax. If you read some of the other threads on this forum, you will see that there are people who got into medical school with three or four Fs. One B is not going to kill you. Even with one B a semester, you would still be an above average applicant.

this is what most of you sarcastic ass holes sound like with your replies "oh yeah who cares you're a neurotic little freshman. grades dont matter. a couple of Cs and Fs and you'll definitely matriculate into medical school. med schools dont care about grades. they only care about your character and how much fun you had in college" college is going to class doing work going home doing work. i dont see at what point any of this is fun to you people. I find it ironic that almost everyone who replied like an ass hole is still a premed student and not in med school. so you dont know how it will turn out. to anyone who replied with a sincere straight forward answer; thanks

this is what most of you sarcastic ass holes sound like with your replies "oh yeah who cares you're a neurotic little freshman. grades dont matter. a couple of Cs and Fs and you'll definitely matriculate into medical school. med schools dont care about grades. they only care about your character and how much fun you had in college" college is going to class doing work going home doing work. i dont see at what point any of this is fun to you people. I find it ironic that almost everyone who replied like an ass hole is still a premed student and not in med school. so you dont know how it will turn out. to anyone who replied with a sincere straight forward answer; thanks

I understand your anger and frustration. It is normal and I myself am going through it
However try and view people in a positive light and what they are basically trying to say is to not worry so much. Try your best and things will work out
Why enjoy pre med? Because this is your life and you are planning on doing it for the rest of your life so enjoy the journey and try hard but have some fun too
Relax.

None of what you said there is fun - that's the point.

Find some fun to be had. We're serious. Do something you enjoy, while putting in effort in your classes. If you find that your grades don't get better, you need to try different strategies.

Nice rant you're going on there. Maybe you could've referred to that Grades post I long had in my sig before you even created this thread.

Just in case you missed it...

Thank you for reading this post before making a thread on this matter. At this point of the year, dozens of students flock to SDN to bewail their misfortune and pledge to get nothing but A's in the pre-reqs/coming semesters/whatevs. I'm here to answer your question and save us veteran posters the hassle of getting cranky over repetitive posts. If this post does not answer your question, please use the search function.

I got a C/B/A- in a pre-req.
You will live, do not retake this course and just do better on future courses.

I did bad this semester/year.
You will live, do not retake those courses and just do better on future courses.

To summarize, there is redemption from bad grades. You might have to work harder. You might have to give up a few things or change your habits. You might, frankly, not be up to the challenge. Regardless, people have survived bad grades and gone all the way to Harvard and Johns Hopkins or whatever your dream school is. It won't be as easy, but it can be done. You aren't doomed to the Carribean/PA school/McDonalds/Janitorwork/DO school or whatever your deepest dark fear is. Move on, don't forget the extra-curriculars, and keep a positive attitude about yourself and try to ignore other pre-meds. They have their own problems too even if they aren't the same as yours.

Love,

Every poster on SDN.

You don't have to be in medical school to realize this thread is ridiculous. You'll be fine.

Yes,, I'm so sorry. Find a more suitable career. Good luck!

Well I don't know if you thought I was a jerk with my reply and I frankly don't care. No, I'm not in med school. I actually just graduated undergrad with a fair share of Bs and one C+ to accompany that. My gpa is still over a 3.7 and my sGPA is over a 3.8 and I had PLENTY of fun in college.

Chill out. Like I said before, you have plenty of time and if this is the only class you'll ever get a B in then who cares?! You'll still have a stellar GPA.

Do some ECs that also make you look awesome. I learned a long time ago med school admissions isn't just about a good GPA. A 4.0 with 0 ECs won't get you far. Keep your grades up (you don't need a 4.0), rock the MCAT, and do some great ECs and volunteering. Research also helps. Recipe for a good admissions application.

Freshmen, especially this early, are practically high school kids. They get a bad grade, and they freak out.

That's normal.

SDN has pretty much always been kinda cynical. I don't see any need for the "You're too neurotic to work with people" responses.

On the flip side, when you start saying stuff like I don't have anything else to live for--well now you're either trolling or trolling.

I got a C in a 5 hour math class my first semester of Freshman year.

Yeah, being sane and reasonable will also help you get accepted to medical school... Maybe more focus on that...

The sarcastic answers weren't because you were worried. It's because you apparently couldn't be bothered to do a minimal amount of simple searching. Places were you would have found a clear answer: a million previous threads on SDN, or the publicly available data schools post on their average GPAs. Even Harvard's average GPA is 'only' a 3.8. Guess some of those Harvard students got Bs! Maybe even Cs. The HORROR.

Yeah, being sane and reasonable will also help you get accepted to medical school... Maybe more focus on that...

Right.

Go in there with your 2.8 and point out how you are the one med student in their application pile who never had a moment of freaking out about your grades.

That'll do it.

School is hard work and I understand your frustration. But like others have said; have some fun. I know it's tough to work hard as hell and get a B or C. I've been down that path. You just have to roll with the punches. Math is my worst subject and I have never received anything higher than a B so far in college in any math and I work damn hard for it.

But, you know what? That's a weakness of mine and I cane to terms with it. I can do scientific math (chem and the such) no problem but when it comes to actual Math classes, I can't break the barrier.

Just work hard, keep your head up, and plow forward. Leave no stone unturned when it comes to studying. But at the end of the day, if you end up with a B or even a C, it's not the end of the world.

Good luck.

I broke my back... It's spinal.