Will a bad first semester freshman year screw me over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Way things are going I could easily see myself ending up w/ the following grades this semester

Chem 1: A
Intro Bio 1: B
Intro Psych: B
Ethics: B

Coming into my freshman year w/ the credits I took at this university, this is what I have already...

Calc 1: A
Calc 2: A
English: A-
Speech: A-

So that would leave me with a 3.33 gpa for my first semester, a cumulative gpa of 3.6, and a science gpa of 3.76.

Would a bad first semester like that look really bad on my dental school application or am I worrying too much?

Members don't see this ad.

You should have seen my freshman year grades. 12 credits of pure disappointment. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol I know, it's just that I am an idiot, an absolute idiot. I have 2 exams this Tuesday, Chem and Psych and have not studied at all. I got a 100% on my first Chem exam and a 95% on my first Psych exam so I have started off well, but god I feel so overwhelmed by the amount of info I need to memorize for these 2 exams in one day. I created a study plan and everything spread out over 6 days so I could study little by little and every time I sat down to study I just COULDN'T FOCUS! I need to study harder but god my study habits suck.

yeah it's truly awful. You might as well give up on dentistry now. :rolleyes:

You know the answer to your own question. Your grades are fine. Are you going to do this for every test until you get into dental school?

Lol I know, it's just that I am an idiot, an absolute idiot. I have 2 exams this Tuesday, Chem and Psych and have not studied at all. I got a 100% on my first Chem exam and a 95% on my first Psych exam so I have started off well, but god I feel so overwhelmed by the amount of info I need to memorize for these 2 exams in one day. I created a study plan and everything spread out over 6 days so I could study little by little and every time I sat down to study I just COULDN'T FOCUS! I need to study harder but god my study habits suck.

You better fix your habits if you do get into dental school because you will be studying for 5 subjects at the same time that are way harder than chemistry or physics.

Way things are going I could easily see myself ending up w/ the following grades this semester

Chem 1: A
Intro Bio 1: B
Intro Psych: B
Ethics: B

Coming into my freshman year w/ the credits I took at this university, this is what I have already...

Calc 1: A
Calc 2: A
English: A-
Speech: A-

So that would leave me with a 3.33 gpa for my first semester, a cumulative gpa of 3.6, and a science gpa of 3.76.

Would a bad first semester like that look really bad on my dental school application or am I worrying too much?

As a freshman in college, in their first semester, I can honestly tell you that you are over reacting and over analyzing way too much. It's good to know that you want to go to dental school, but you really need to relax. SDN is going to make you lose your mind if you freak out this much this early in college and nit pick about your currently non existent dental school application. WAY too much could happen between now and 2-3 years from now. You might want to go to a different professional school, or not go to any grad school at all. Who knows.

Right now I'd recommend to study hard during the week, spend less time on this site, and do your best to keep options open. Go to a party or two here and there and have some fun. Go be a freshman in college. Those were the best and most care free times of my young adult life to date. Do not stress out now. There will be plenty of time to do that later.

Oh, what I would do to only have to study for two exams right now, haha

Reactions: 1 user
+1 on not closing any doors. Your GPA is not bad at all, especially for a freshman, just don't let it diminish too much. Try your hardest to keep a 3.5+ overall GPA and you will not close any doors.

I know, I am still in good shape but I don't know. It's just seems like it will be soooo hard to do well throughout the next 4 years, especially once getting to the upper level science courses. I am smart and it's nothing that is hard, but I JUST CANNOT GET MYSELF TO SIT AT A DESK AND STUDY!!! I just can't do it, I have not motivation or ambition...i'm just a lost cause who is going to waste his talents and end up homeless...

I know, I am still in good shape but I don't know. It's just seems like it will be soooo hard to do well throughout the next 4 years, especially once getting to the upper level science courses. I am smart and it's nothing that is hard, but I JUST CANNOT GET MYSELF TO SIT AT A DESK AND STUDY!!! I just can't do it, I have not motivation or ambition...i'm just a lost cause who is going to waste his talents and end up homeless...

dramatic much? just relax. If wanting to be a dentist is not good motivation enough to sit at a desk and study, maybe dental school isn't for you

Every student comes into college with a different set of obstacles. Some of these might include, lack of financial means, academic prep, or other problems, but the truly successful students get stuff done, regardless of the situation.

In other words, everyone is dealt a different set of cards in life, but you just got to get the grades if you truly want to be a Dentist. Stop making excuses and just study.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Look, nothing personal but there are other guys with bigger problems. If dental schools say you're ****ed every time an applicant screws up their freshman year or even sophomore year... well, I guess they could still do it technically since there are tons of applicants but they don't wanna miss out the gems that needed time to really shine.

Just realized how expendable I am now. Sigh

Are you fishing for compliments?

I'm in my first semester and struggling to get at least B. be thankful for what you have and look for the future. You can whine all you want, the past will never change.

dramatic much? just relax. If wanting to be a dentist is not good motivation enough to sit at a desk and study, maybe dental school isn't for you

+1

Hs2013, get off of the internet and go study. Or not. Your choice.

However, if you continuously find yourself lacking motivation to study, I would suggest looking into a different career path.

Let's say I end up getting a B in both Chem and Bio. Would that be really bad? If I get A's in chem 2 and orgo chem and my upper level bio classes, would that at least help offset the bad start and keep me as a competitive applicant?

Serious question lol, I feel like if I get a B in both intro level chem and bio that would look really BAD.
It looks pretty bad. Maybe you have a chance if it's the only B on your transcript

You might as well withdraw... Just sayin'

(Seriously?... FOCUS... Its not that hard.... Just tell yourself to do it and shut the sdlkfhweifuh(heck)dslfh up)

I really wanted to say something super sarcastic but that seems to be covered on this thread....

You're way overreacting. You're grades are great. But it's only going to get harder as your college career advances. Pretty soon you'll be taking at least 3 sciences courses (upper div) as well as juggling a shadowing position and volunteering, or maybe a job like most of us. You're going to have to develop habits that will allow you to succeed under such circumstances. My advice: Group study! Get involved! Study subjects you find truly fascinating.

Sign up for a lab so you can do research and job shadow more. No jk lol. Bro look at the classes you're taking. It'll take some time to adjust. Sooner or later if you're smart, you'll learn to adjust and you'll get better grades =).