Will a bad grade ruin chances to dental school? (Chemistry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

88Kieys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, first off, I'm sorry If I'm one of those typical people on this site that complains about their grades, but I really just hope to hear some answers.

I know what It takes to go to dental and I understand the grades you need to get in.

I just finished Gen Chem 2 this semester. But not the way I expected. Long story short, I walked into the final with a B-, got destroyed and finished the class with a C. After this semester, I currently have a overall GPA of a 3.71 and science of 3.5. Will this really hurt my chances of dental school? I heard someone say they look for improvement and this doesn't look like improvement. I just finished my sophomore year so I still got a year left before I apply my first time. I still have the DAT upcoming and Organic Chemistry to hopefully make up for my wrong doing in Gen Chem. Am I just over reacting about everything? Will this one semester be a big red flag? Should I be super concerned about this? Do you guys have any advice?
And yes, I know...study study study.
Thanks for everything in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

relax....this isn't going to ruin your chances at all. Just retake it if you think you can get an A. Getting C for a prereq doesn't look too good, so maybe retake it before orgo, or you can retake it afterwards. I don't think the order would matter so much.

One C isn't an issue. Many C's (or lower) will become an issue. Make sure you put in the extra effort in orgo! I applied and was accepted with 2 C's and an F that I got as a junior.

Reactions: 1 user