Aug 5, 2009
Status
Last semester I had some personal problems and ended up missing a lot of classes and got terrible grades. I ended up only passing one of my five classes. In the one class I did pass I got a D. I ended up getting dismissed from the university but I appealed and got back in because I've had good grades in the past. I'm currently in the business school and all of the classes I failed were business classes (two econ classes and an accounting class) with the exception of finite math. The class I passed was a business law class.

At my university we are allowed to retake up to 15 credit hours and the grade will be replaced in the gpa. It still shows on the transcript the original grade in the class, however. I'm retaking all the classes I took last semester this semester so I can improve my gpa. After this semester I'm planning on switching my major to biology and hopefully go on to attend dental school.

I'm a 3rd year student right now and I'm planning on taking five years to graduate. My cumulative gpa prior to this semester was a 3.4 and I got a B+ in the one science course (biology) I have taken.

If I can do well in my classes that I'm retaking this semester and get my gpa back in the 3.4-3.5 range (or hopefully higher) and can do well on the DAT do I still have a realistic shot of getting into a dental school? Or did I really hurt my chances with this past semester?

Jul 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Dear gdog27,

I'm pretty sure that if you keep all your grades up and that you only messed up in one semester, you'll be fine. Just do really well on the DAT and explain your situation in your personal statement. Good luck and keep the hope up.

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I still think you'll be fine, although you of course will raise some eyebrows. If there is a compelling reason for your lack of academic achievement for just this one semester, you can probably explain it in your Personal Statement once you apply. Also, you have to take note that AADSAS will calculate all your grades, so even if your university will replace those grades, AADSAS will not be so forgiving. You will need to indicate the F's and D that you made on AADSAS as well as the grades you make in your re-takes.

Also make sure to take more science classes so that adcoms can gauge how well you can do in them. And of course, having a solid DAT score will help.

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Yeah i would definitely say work on getting a lot more science courses under your belt, its going to take at least 2 years just to get most of your pre-reqs done if one bio course is the most you've taken so far. Just keep your grades up and one semester wont kill you, I talked to a director of admissions at a local dental school and he told me usually students screw up in their first 2 years and thats somewhat expected if you do screw up but he said if it comes in the last 2 years, its usually a little unusual. Get those grades up and you should be okay. Good Luck! Study hard for your DAT!