Will a business minor improve my chances for MD/MBA program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sudo

Señor Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
^^^ pretty self-explanatory.

Members don't see this ad.

Not really. Getting into an MBA program attached to a med school is the easy part. Getting into med school itself is the hard part, and a business minor won't help you with that.

Once you're accepted to med school, getting a Master's in almost anything is mostly a matter of filling out the application and having basic interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really. Getting into an MBA program attached to a med school is the easy part. Getting into med school itself is the hard part, and a business minor won't help you with that.

Once you're accepted to med school, getting a Master's in almost anything is mostly a matter of filling out the application and having basic interest.

Exactly. Worry about getting accepted to MD school.

I agree that you should be focusing on getting into the MD program, first and foremost. But I wouldn't say getting into the MBA program is that easy. Easier than getting into medical school, yes. But depending on the business school, you may have to have a strong performance on the GMAT and several years of work experience. I will say that a business minor is worthless, as is a bachelor's degree in business administration.

I agree that you should be focusing on getting into the MD program, first and foremost. But I wouldn't say getting into the MBA program is that easy. Easier than getting into medical school, yes. But depending on the business school, you may have to have a strong performance on the GMAT and several years of work experience. I will say that a business minor is worthless, as is a bachelor's degree in business administration.

Whoah whoah whoah, not all business bachelor's are worthless. Accounting is a fairly high-demand degree, as is finance (although it's taken a beating in the past few years).

Whoah whoah whoah, not all business bachelor's are worthless. Accounting is a fairly high-demand degree, as is finance (although it's taken a beating in the past few years).
I agree. I am a recent graduate of a fairly high ranked accounting program. The skills are totally priceless, but I felt that most interviewers and school adcoms could care less about my degree, especially when it came to applying MD/MBA. However, business skills always come in handy and can't hurt to obtain.

If you're trying to pursue business as a doctor-- and not just training -- then you want a MBA from a top program, which is not easy. And for MBA, you don't have 50-100 hrs of shadowing; it requires years of personal or internship experience in business. For example, MD/MBA at Dartmouth requires a separate admission committee decision and then a final decision. Getting into Dartmouth's MD and Tuck? Good luck with that.

I wouldn't say not at all, as you would be exposed to some coursework and you may get some talks/seminars with whom you can network with; but, the majority of MBA is your package of your application. You can lack in your GMAT but make up with other aspects such as GPA, experiences -- same as med.