Will a Decent GPA/MCAT Make-up for Poor LORs/EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howard098

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be applying to 12 DO schools next year and need help figuring out which parts of my application need work.

I have a 3.56sGPA, 3.52cGPA (4 retakes) and a 509 on the MCAT which I'm told is close to a 32? (I took the MCAT early as I finished Ochem, genchem, physics, psych, sociology and biochemistry my first 6 quarters)

I have one good LOR from the volunteer director at a major hospital, one from my research adviser, one from a biochemistry professor and one from a DO Cardiologist. The problem is I've only spoken with my research adviser a few times as I just started research spring quarter and only met my biochemistry professor a few times in office hours.

ECs:
300 hours volunteering in a hospital ER/training volunteers.
100 hours research (Paper pending review, 5th author)
20 hours shadowing
200 hours working in a hospital in China providing medical care to the poor
Some minor college leadership, senate etc. Taught a 2 unit social justice class.

My options for summer are:
Volunteer more at the hospital and Shadow more
Retake 3 more classes (If I get A's GPA goes up to 3.72sGPA, 3.69cGPA)
Try and find a research job/internship
Study and retake MCAT
Something else?

I could really use some planning advice and some help on how to possibly secure better LORs.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think your EC's are weak by any means, generic maybe. Maybe more shadowing couldnt hurt.

You are fine. You have a strong MCAT score, and a little over average GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with most- except your LOR situation. Do you only have one LOR from a professor? You will need another science and a non-science LOR from professors who have taught you in class. Or a committee letter, if your school has one.

My research adviser was one of my professors for quantum mechanics. Our school has a strictly non letter writing pre-med committee...

Reactions: 1 user
My research adviser was one of my professors for quantum mechanics. Our school has a strictly non letter writing pre-med committee...
Awesome! Quantum mechanics...impressive! Now just get on that non-science professor and you're set.

For DO schools, they focus less on research, more on clinical and volunteering- no more abroad stuff, actually adcoms dislike that- straight from their mouths!

And you will also need 2 English classes, so make sure you have those ( 6 cr)
Also, some schools require 3 300 level science classes, but I feel like you may have that covered!

And if that MCAT is a 32 and you truly studied and prepared for it, do NOT retake it! Most applicants score lower on retakes, then the schools you apply to may avg your scores, effectively lowering it

What are 300 level science classes? Are they just upper division?

Yes they are. You usually take them junior and senior year of college.

Yes...check your transcript. Any science classes you have taken that starts with 3xx, example Bio 345 Anatomy and Physiology I.

I don't think my college uses the same numbering system.
Lower Division = 0-100 Upper = 100+
Ex: Quantum Mechanics was 163 and Anatomy/Human Physio were 120.

Hmmm.... Well those are 2 upper level right there then! Use your numbering system, it will be evident when you apply that your school has a different system