Will a few B's keep me from a selective medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tim_freddie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for the standard pre-med requirement courses I have the following grades:
Bio 1: A
Bio 2: A
Gen Chem 1: A
Gen Chem 2: B
Orgo 1: A
Orgo 2: A
Orgo Lab: A-
Physics 1: A
Physics 2: A
Biochem: B

But I have a science GPA of 3.9 and overall GPA of 3.92 because I got mostly A's in my math courses (I'm a math major). I also got a 524 on my MCAT. Do you think my non-A chem courses will keep me from an admission to a selective med school? I can retake the biochem course this summer and potentially get an A in it. Is this worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a pretty solid application with that gpa.

Reactions: 1 user

But I have a science GPA of 3.9 and overall GPA of 3.92 because I got mostly A's in my math courses (I'm a math major). I also got a 524 on my MCAT. Do you think my non-A chem courses will keep me from an admission to a selective med school? I can retake the biochem course this summer and potentially get an A in it. Is this worth it?

I'm hoping this is is a trolling post designed to give stress-relief. But no, you should be fine.

Reactions: 2 users

Oh hell, It's app season, isn't it.

The median at Harvard and Stanford class schools is 3.9. That means their students are as imperfect as you.

As long as you score in the 99th+ percentile on the MCAT, have excellent ECs, and interview well, you still stand a chance.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user