Will a higher Step 1 make up for a low-tier MD school for the big academic places?

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by bunya12, Jun 29, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. bunya12

bunya12

Jun 5, 2017
    I know there's much more that goes into a residency app than just step 1 score, but I'm currently interested in an academic career. Two strikes against me are the fact that I'm from a low-tier MD school and I only have 2 abstracts and 3 presentations currently. I'm finishing up my first rotation of third year so I have a ways to go yet, but just trying to figure out if I should attempt to get some more research in or what else I could do to be more competitive.

Just got my scores back and did much better than I anticipated, so I was wondering if a step 1 >260 could make up for subpar research and a low ranked MD school? Interested in Vandy/Emory/Stanford/Hopkins in particular for research purposes. Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dave CX

Dave CX

Dec 21, 2016
    If you broke 260 then you spanked that test hard. You have an excellent chance at a top tier residence. I would put UVa on your list too.

4. Dave CX

Dave CX

Dec 21, 2016
    The way you carry yourself on your interview is key.

5. Dave CX

Dave CX

Dec 21, 2016
    And your research experience seems very solid in my opinion.

6. SoDakMLS

SoDakMLS Good luck on the Path! 5+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2011
    The Mighty Midwest
    Unless you have red flags on your application (Step 2 problems, criminal record, start bombing clerkships), or in your personal statement your stated goals are the opposite of the program, that score will buy you an interview at essentially any path program you want. Truly. You are an American, interested in path, and have a Step 1 score all the ortho and derm gunners would kill for. Don't worry about the number of publications--you've done something (which is more than I had!).

I know you have ~1 year before applications, but realize you can be selective in where you apply. You are already forming a short list of places (message me if you'd like my plug for WashU), which is good. Next year when you apply, there is really no need to apply to more than 12-15 programs. You'll get invites to all of them, and it will save you time and money. Believe me, after the first 5 or so, everything starts running together and the process gets tiresome. Pathology residency is a buyer's market for AMGs.

Autopsy101 likes this.
  7. bunya12

bunya12

Jun 5, 2017
    I appreciate all the advice! I have a few follow-up questions that I haven't been able to find consistent answers to. With that step 1 score, what is the general consensus on when to take step 2? Do most programs require a step 2 score before offering interviews? Basically just trying to figure out my schedule with regard to the test and away rotations, so I welcome any advice and insight.

Also, since I am interested in academic programs and research, would it be more helpful to attempt to get one or two more research experiences/potential publications in the next year at the cost of potentially not performing quite as well on some rotations or should I prioritize clinical grades in rotations like family/ob/peds above research?

Thanks again!

8. Dave CX

Dave CX

Dec 21, 2016
    Do NOT let any other projects interfere with you doing a good job on your rotations. That would be a mistake. You have done plenty to show your academic interest. Play it cool and focus on finishing strong in med school. I see no benefit to delaying step 2.

tiredguy and Autopsy101 like this.
  9. tiredguy

tiredguy Not a New Member 10+ Year Member

May 15, 2005
    I agree. From a low tier medical school, a high Step 1 score will help but some people at some "big academic places" will also consider your class rank in which case you don't want to rank average or poorly at a low tier medical school. This is for match ranking purposes, not for deciding to interview you. It may not ultimately matter that much but I've seen it discussed.